Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2013 03:00

Command line to find nodes mac addresses.

Hi, I’m trying to find the mac addresses of the various nics in our Isilon nodes but seem to be struggling to find the right command line. I'm aware of 'isi network list interface' etc but this doesn't seem to return all the info I'm after. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Millie

1.2K Posts

October 11th, 2013 04:00

The classic UNIX command ifconfig shows mac and ip addresses, plus much more...

-- Peter

23 Posts

October 11th, 2013 04:00

Thanks Peter, that does the job. Although I would have thought this info should be returned using the 'isi network.....' commands.

Cheers,

Millie.

October 12th, 2013 10:00

Simply wanted to point out that mapping the (individual) interface names at the OS level (via ifconfig) to the naming used by OneFS could be a bit confusing.  For instance (color coding used to emphasize what one *may* expect):

ifconfig     OneFS

em0          ext-1

em1          ext-2

cxgb1        10gige-1

cxgb0        10gige-2

Even the InfiniBand ports don't align as you *may* expect:

ib0 = int-b

ib1 = int-a

OBSERVATIONS

1) When you have the 2 on-board (Cu) 1gig interfaces, the numbering while it doesn't match, is at least aligning in ascending order: (em0 = ext-1 and em1 = ext-2)

2) However, notice the 10gig interfaces where while cxgb1 = 10gige-1 (number reference matches), *but* then cxgb0 = 10gige-2 which doesn't match the ascending order.

3) This changes when you have 4x (Cu) 1gig interfaces (2x onboard + 2x expansion).  I have exhibited the following alignment where ext-1 = em2 (from the list of em0, em1, em2, and em3)

In summary, you'll want to be careful and key off indicators such as in ifconfig  noting: status: no carrier vs active and for those with IP assignment on the individual interface, you can match via the inet address.

However, I'm thinking by now you already figured this out. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 18th, 2018 10:00

try this

isi_for_array -s 'ifconfig |egrep -A2 "bxe0|bxe1|igb0|igb1|ib0|ib1" |egrep -v "options|flags|inet|vlan|--"' |awk '{print $3}'

November 27th, 2018 17:00

isi_for_array -s ifconfig

this command will display all ip address for all the nodes .

in the output

NIC Name: bxe0 means 10gige-1

NIC Name :bxe1 means 10gige-2

NIC Name: igb0 means ext-1

NIC Name : igb1 means ext-2

Others are int-a and int-b

No Events found!