Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2015 03:00

Does reimage update drive firmware, FRU Package and node firmware?

Hello Everyone,

The firmware versions of the drives, FRU Package and firmware version of nodes will also go back to the initial version by initializing by reimaging of the cluster after the drive firmware, FRU Package and node firmware have been upgraded?

The customer will have to do his test a few times so that he wants to confirm if those will be initialized by the reimage.

Can the customer overwrite the same newer firmware to his drive firmware, FRU Package and node firmware even if they haven't been initialized?

The customer hasn't said clearly but I assume he will do upgrade his drive firmware, FRU Package and node firmware after he take the image backup.

Best regards,

Hiroki

6 Posts

May 11th, 2015 12:00

In my experience, re-imaging a node (as by reinstalling Isilon OneFS from a USB drive) does not change the firmware on the node or drives. I don't know about the FRU package.

2 Posts

May 12th, 2015 12:00

Greetings!

Re-imaging a cluster will not change the firmware versions on your drives or nodes.

A re-image will wipe away all of the firmware and FRU packages that are currently on the node.  But if you've already extracted the files from those packages, then that's a clean-up step that will not affect your cluster.

To sum up, once you've performed a firmware upgrade or installed a FRU package, a re-image will not affect your:

• Drive firmware versions
  • Node firmware versions
  • CTO files

One small thing worth noting, if you're upgrading to OneFS 7.1.1 or later, you will have an "expected drive firmware" list added to the cluster.  If your current drive firmware versions are not equal or later than the expected versions, you will see an alert to that effect.  But your drive firmware will not be automatically updated.  You'll need to update your drive firmware to the expected versions.

Hope this helps.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 12th, 2015 19:00

Thank you wsh_ntc and Erich VonHeeder!

I understand that the reimaging doesn't revert the firmware upgrade for dives & nodes. However reimaging doesn't revert the FRU Package update? Because the FRU Package puts some files into Isilon (or node?) like the following. Otherwise the directories aren't reverted by the reimaging?

And are there any problem if we upgrade the firmwares for dives & nodes again after the reimaging?

isilon-cluster-2# isi pkg install --forced_local IsiFru_Package_201503170000.tar

Preparing to install the package...

Checking the package for installation...

Installing 'IsiFru_Package_201503170000'.

'IsiFru_Package_201503170000' is installed.

Committing 'IsiFru_Package_201503170000' local installation.

'IsiFru_Package_201503170000' is committed.

isilon-cluster-2# cd /var/crash/cto/fruPackages/IsiFru_Package_201503170000

isilon-cluster-2# ls

Soft-AVL_201503170000.xml      probe_config.0.gc

isi_cto_lib.py                  probe_config.1.gc

isi_cto_update                  probe_config.gc

md5.txt

isilon-cluster-2# ./isi_cto_update --update

Verifying package integrity

Package integrity is good

Beginning update

Node CTO capability verified

Importing SoftAVL (./Soft-AVL_201503170000.xml)

Success

Importing local /etc/gconfig/probe_config.0.gc (/etc/gconfig/probe_config.0.gc)

Success

Importing local /etc/gconfig/probe_config.1.gc (/etc/gconfig/probe_config.1.gc)

Success

Importing local /etc/gconfig/probe_config.gc (/etc/gconfig/probe_config.gc)

Success

Importing package probe_config.0.gc (./probe_config.0.gc)

Success

Importing package probe_config.1.gc (./probe_config.1.gc)

Success

Importing package probe_config.gc (./probe_config.gc)

Success

CTO files imported

Update successful

Done

Best regards,

Hiroki

6 Posts

May 14th, 2015 10:00

If you try to install a version of node or drive firmware that is already installed, the upgrade command outputs a message and exits without changing the firmware or rebooting the node. On OneFS 7.1, the isi firmware update command prints "No updates available," and the isi_disk_firmware_reboot command prints "no disks need firmware updates."

I'm sorry I can't say more about FRU packages; I don't recall having had configured-to-order nodes that used them.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2015 11:00

Re-imaging doesn't revert the FRU package update?

No it does not.  If you are upgrading to a more recent version of OneFS, a re-image may actually update the CTO files that are part of the FRU package.  That is to say, it may add some entries to the SoftAVL or probe_config, but it will never remove information from those files.

Can we upgrade the drive and node firmware after re-imaging?

It's best practice to update your firmware before you re-image your cluster.

Take a look at some of the resources that are out there on EMC Online Support:

• Isilon OneFS Upgrade Planning and Process Guide
  • Isilon OneFS Upgrade Process Flowchart
  • OneFS Upgrade Readiness Checklist

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2015 02:00

Hello wsh_ntc and Erich VonHeeder,

I got the re-installation a version of node or drive firmware that is already installed isn't done with the message (however it's not a big problem, right?), and the re-imaging for the FRU package update and re-upgrade the drive and node firmware after re-imaging.

I really appreciate.

Best regards,

Hiroki

No Events found!