Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2015 10:00

Enabling L3 on upgraded cluster

I am enabling L3 on a couple of node pools in my cluster, one of which is new (S210s), and one of which is old (S200s). I have put them in their own tier, and am running Smartpools to clean stuff up. However, I do not see the SSD usage decreasing on these nodes as I would expect so the SSDs can be failed out. The admin guide and support are not particularly clear on this (support just copied the bit from the guide), so has anyone done this? I'm actually seeing SSD usage increase on the S210s.

Do I need to run FlexProtectLIN on these to get rid of the SSDs so they can be used for L3, or is it truly a completely invisible background process like the admin guide seems to indicate?

--Ken

205 Posts

October 20th, 2015 07:00

OK, so here's what I've seen with this. First it will run a Smartpools job. After that, it will run a FlexProtect and a FlexProtectLin job to actually fail out the SSDs. In case any one else wonders, because Isilon won't tell you this, apparently.

1.2K Posts

October 19th, 2015 01:00

It ain't over till the fat lady sings...

The SmartPools job will process the youngest LINs towards the end, expect that's where and when the SSD data gets migrated.

-- Peter

205 Posts

October 19th, 2015 05:00

Now it seems to have kicked off a FlexProtect (after the Smartpools finished), which is nuking the SSDs in the old pool, but not the new one. I think it's interesting that it's doing a FlexProtect, not a FlexProtectLin, but I guess it's probably just going to be dumb about where it puts the metadata that's on those SSDs. Then it'll need to be put back on the remaining SSDs, the next set will be processed, the whole thing repeats, somewhere in there it fails out the bad SAS drive, and then perhaps it'll run the multiscan to rebalance the tiers. Yay.

1.2K Posts

October 20th, 2015 20:00

But did you have to smartfail and re-add the SSDs *manually*?

And you mentioned a bad SAS drive, which might have complicated things...

No Events found!