Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 21st, 2017 04:00

Has anyone upgraded from 7.2.1.5 to 8.1?

Hi there,

I have read through the meticulous instructions for the upgrade of OneFS to 8.1 pending our installation of Gen6 hardware. Was looking for feedback of previous experience of anyone in the community? We are doing our DR cluster first (x400's, nl400+nl410's + HD400'S) and was sad to see it was a simultaneous upgrade. Well we cant change that, so has anyone actually done it? I see the Kerberos backups procedure and boot partition checks etc so we should be ok. The only other issue is that our support company cannot even get hold of the code! We were supposed to start this today but I am not confident with the mixed reviews we have had from Dell EMC on reboot times etc, but from what I have read here on the community "A simultaneous upgrade upgrades OneFS and restarts all of the nodes in the cluster at the same time"

Thanks

Jon.

450 Posts

September 21st, 2017 11:00

Your support company? As in third-party support?

You can get the code on support.emc.com if you have an active maintenance agreement.

Yes it'll take a simultaneous reboot of all nodes on the cluster, and as such I would suggest it be done after hours or on a weekend.

EMC Support has health-check scripts that can be run to help make sure it goes well, so I'd certainly suggest keeping them in the loop.

~Chris

September 22nd, 2017 06:00

The hard part is getting to OneFS 8.0 - that's a *MAJOR* upgrade from OneFS 7.2.  When you throw in all of the firmware updates needed (and thankfully you won't need patches), you can easily spend a full day per cluster even with EMC assistance.  If you have any scripts, you will need to check them very carefully.  Syntax changed all over the place - some are easy (isi network list pool changes to isi network pool list) and some definitely aren't (celog was a major rewrite so all of your event notification experience is pretty much useless).

OneFS 8.0 to 8.1 is a rolling upgrade and should not be that big of a deal.  OneFS 8.1 is not available to the general public yet - it is a restricted release only for Gen6 customers.

8.1.0.1 is expected to be released shortly with hundreds of bug fixes.

8 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 07:00

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply, the preparation and upgrade documentation advises 7.2.1.5 to 8.1 is possible without the 8.0 step, do you agree? Yes we are a Gen 6 customer and the company that supply and install the kit are the Professional Services (look after ALL our EMC Kit + upgrades) are struggling to get the code, I will check today with them if they have managed to get it.

Many thanks

Jon.

8 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 07:00

Thanks Chris

September 22nd, 2017 08:00

I haven't done the upgrade yet (we decided to create a new cluster for our Gen6 nodes instead of adding them to an existing cluster) but If the docs say you can upgrade directly, then I would expect that to work.  That doesn't make the effort any smaller except avoiding the reboot going to 8 first.  The rest of the work, like firmware upgrades, still has to be done and you'll have the same issues with any custom scripts you have.

No Events found!