Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2017 08:00

ICAP anivirus with Sophos

I'm using Sophos Endpoint Security for CAVA antivirus scanning for DellEMC VNX arrays. I'm now in the process of installing two DellEMC Isilon clusters and they use ICAP for antivirus scanning.

I can see from the Sophos website that ICAP is supported.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/network-storage-antivirus/tech-specs.aspx

DellEMC support are still saying that you do NOT support Sophos.

Any clarification please?

Thanks.

450 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 12:00

ICAP is a standard defined within RFC3507, which is why it's preferred in the industry (in general), over vendor-specific implementations like CAVA these days.

RFC 3507 - Jeremy Elson and Alberto Cerpa, Editors

As to DellEMC support of one tool or another, I'll leave that to a DellEMC employee to comment, however in general think of it this way: DellEMC doesn't "support" any AV products, because they don't make or sell any AV products.  Isilon's OneFS is compatible with a standard protocol called ICAP, and if your AV software supports that protocol as well, then you're good.  If you have Isilon issues with it not behaving per the standard, then open an Isilon SR.  If you have Sophos problems with it not detecting or quarantining things properly, then call Sophos support.

That's how to think of it.  NOT DellEMC doesn't support it, so if you have a problem nobody will help you.  That said you find reference documentation on some of the other more common ICAP solutions in the market specifically with Isilon, however, that does not constitute an endorsement of one over another.

Make sense?

~Chris Klosterman

Principal SE - Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

No Events found!