Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2014 10:00

IIS ConnectIQ White Letter

I'm currently taking an EMC class for Isilon Admin and during the course of instruction it was mentioned there is a way to enhance performance of Windows IIS servers accessing SMB shares on the Isilon.  I've been searching for a EMC document (White Letter) that explains the process but I can't find it and was hoping someone could point me to it.

The training material states:

Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) server can use its virtual directory feature to

store website content remotely from the IIS web server. That content can experience poor

performance when located on an Isilon cluster because IIS establishes only a single

connection to the cluster. This problem can be resolved by establishing connections to

multiple nodes within the cluster, and even establishing multiple connections to individual

nodes.

IISConnectIQ is a flexible load balancer that offers three different load-balancing policies:

round-robin, random, and hashed. The objective of using the load-balancer is to convert UNC

path names of the form \\clustername\...to UNC paths of the form \\node\.... This

translation is performed transparently, ensuring that IIS-hosted applications do not need to

be modified. As each UNC path is translated, IIS determines whether a connection to the

node already exists and, if a connection does not exist, establishes a new one. Depending on

the IIS server configuration, load, and load- balancing policy, IIS can send requests to any or

all nodes, and even multiple connections to each node. This arrangement exploits the OneFS

cluster architecture and maximizes the performance of IIS-hosted applications.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 14:00

This is the closest thing I could find to a guide.

https://support.emc.com/kb/89634

We'll be using it, but we also had to turn off oplocks for those shares where IIS is accessing Isilon over SMB.

9 Posts

December 18th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for posting the article.  I don't know why I never came across it in my research, but the article is great.  Again, thanks for posting the link.

No Events found!