Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2017 06:00

Intermittent issue after adding 2 nodes 7.2.1.2

Hi All,

Recently we added two nodes, after adding the nodes I did not see clients falling over to those nodes. Though both the nodes were serving SMB requests, customer faced lots of issues after nodes were added like intermittent issues, backups not running on isilon

we have two pools, were in 1 pool uses X410 and the other uses NL400 and customer had ordered 1 X410 and the other NL410, while adding the nodes X410 got added automatically and NL410 was showing in un provisioned state

EMC some how got added the node by manually adding the drives, The strange thing was NL400 has dual core processor and the newly added 1 node NL410 has single processor

I suspended both the nodes the issues were resolved.Any one has faced similar issue?

How to get those Nodes working again as support is also unable to identify the issue

Could it be compatibility issue, EMC already had confirmed it that NL410 is compatible or is there any bug with 7.2.1.2 version

we are planning to upgrade our cluster to 8.0.0.4 soon

33 Posts

June 26th, 2017 05:00

The slight mismatch in hardware is allowed on OneFS.  The NL400 and NL410s have a compatibility matrix and you can do some mixing of nodes presuming they have the same capacity disks and similar RAM.

NL410s do have "issues" when running a version of OneFS earlier than 8.0.0.4 or 7.2.1.5.

When we did a tech refresh from NL400 -> NL410s we had nothing but problems on 7.2.1.3 and were forced to take emergency downtime to upgrade to 8.0.0.4 to restore proper operation of our cluster.

21 Posts

July 17th, 2017 08:00

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply, the newly added nodes are still suspended state, is there any document which states that the NL410 has problems running the onefs below 8.X version as EMC is not agreeing that the 7.2.1.2 version is not compatible with NL410, they said to modify oplock settings for some shares which require high latency which I dint agree on.We dont have any problems to any of the shares after suspending both the nodes.

252 Posts

July 18th, 2017 12:00

Hi PriyalP7

You can see known issues that were resolved regarding the NL410 in the 7.2.1.x branch in the release notes. There were a few issues that were fixed in later versions. Officially they are compatible. There were networking issues that you could be running into without further information on whether or not you have all available patches/firmware up to date.

Isilon OneFS 7.2.1.0 - 7.2.1.5 Release Notes: https://support.emc.com/docu60143:

21 Posts

September 20th, 2017 23:00

Upgrading to 8.0.0.4 resolved the issue, but I guess the issue occurred because we dint create compatibility class while adding the nodes and nor the Implementation guys from EMC figured it while forcefully adding the drives to the storage pools

No Events found!