Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2017 18:00

Is there a way to get size of directory (including the size of its contents) in isilon

Hello everyone,

I would like to have the total size of directory in isilon. I do not want to aggregate the size by parsing the hierarchy using  ?metadata functional parameter as it would be very inefficient.

Is there a way to get the size?

Regards,

Aman

EDIT: Please also let me know if there is a way to get this information using rest api.

October 23rd, 2017 11:00

Hi,

Yes there appears to be a way from looking at the API docs:

http://doc.isilon.com/onefs/8.0.0/api/en-us/03-ifs-br-system-config-api.htm

Use browser search for these:

Start a new system job

Modify a system job

450 Posts

October 18th, 2017 11:00

If you have InsightIQ it can show it in filesystem analytics.  Basically the fsanalyze job stores the results of it's own efficient scans of the filesystem in /ifs/.ifsvar/modules/fsa/.  In that folder you'll find a symbolic link called 'latest' which points to the latest result sets. Querying it with SQL language (which I'm no expert in), can likely yield the results you're looking for.

~Chris

October 18th, 2017 12:00

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the answer. Looks like I do not have InsightIQ in the simulator I am running. The folders you mentioned exists, but there is not symbolic link to latest.

Also is there a way to get it using rest api's that are exposed by the isilon? Looks like fsanalyze is not part of jobs which can be created using platform/3/job/jobs

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

October 19th, 2017 09:00

amandeepgautam

Try /ifs/.ifsvar/modules/fsa/pub.

x400-1# ls -l

total 16

drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel  28 Oct 16 22:00 job.758

drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel  28 Oct 17 22:00 job.764

drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel  28 Oct 18 22:00 job.771

lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel   7 Oct 18 22:00 latest -> job.771

x400-1# pwd

/ifs/.ifsvar/modules/fsa/pub

x400-1#

October 19th, 2017 12:00

Still no luck. I do not have pub folder in /ifs/.ifsvar/modules/fsa/

Any idea how that is created? Also is there a way to get this information from rest api exposed by isilon?

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

October 20th, 2017 09:00

amandeepgautam,

Is the FSA job enabled?

s200-1# isi job types list

ID                Enabled  Policy

-----------------------------------

DomainMark        Yes      LOW

FSAnalyze          Yes      LOW

FlexProtect        Yes      MEDIUM

-----------------------------------

Total: 25

s200-1#

October 20th, 2017 10:00

Yes, it seems it is enables.

isi-simu-81-1% isi job types list | grep FSA

FSAnalyze          Yes      LOW

October 20th, 2017 11:00

hi amandeepgautam,

There are several ways of getting what you want:

1. CLI -- run "du"

2. Use SmartQuotas -- set a quota on those directories that you want to report off of, say using advisory quotas which only does accounting and will not enforce.  Run quota scan job and you'll have the results.

3. FSA -- sounds like you are using a simulator.  You could deploy InsightIQ which is a different product and needs its own CentOS v6.8 VM.  If you don't want to do that, you could just enable FS Analyze.  Run that job.  When done, see about using the knowledge from this blog to query the FSA results -- Accessing FSA results through Platform API

4. InsightIQ – if you can deploy InsightIQ, after the FS Analyze job runs, use the File System Reporting feature and look at the Directory Chart (the pie chart on top of the reports).  It allows you to drill down into the directories and reports Logical and Physical sizes of the directories.

October 20th, 2017 15:00

That was quite helpful. Is there a way to run the fsa job through a rest API call?

No Events found!