Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2016 06:00

Isilon Event logs only for Create file | folder or rename file | folder

Hi,

We have a requirement where Client needs to check for last couple of days logs to verify who renamed or created a new file | folder , we already enabled audit logs in the Isilon Storage device.

But when we verify with the command :isi_audit_viewer -t protocol -s "2016-01-01 12:00:00" -e "2016-07-08 00:00:00"

it is giving us the huge list of all the events that makes us to load the file for hours together, after loading of file we see lots of events on the particular share.

So is there any way to customize the above command to specific event with: "eventType":"create","createResult":"OPENED",

Please help...!!!

65 Posts

July 22nd, 2016 09:00

Hello Dhaneswar,

unfortunately the isi_audit_viewer command leaves something to be desired. It is in place as a means but really shouldn't be the end goal. If you are looking to simplify this I would highly recommend getting a Varonis end point server to help you parse the output to something more manageable as that is the intended functionality of protocol auditing. That being said the only way I am aware of to make this happen is sharpening up those grepfoo commands.

I can tell you based on your output that you are not checking the last few days, more like months from January to July so I would expect that output to be very large if you have daily users working for 6+ months in those directories.

Here are some examples of me grepping on my test cluster that did return output using the same dates as you, you should also be aware that each node has its own audit logs so you may have to run these on each node or use the -n flag to check a specific node

grepping for opened on a single node:

isi_audit_viewer -t protocol -s "2016-01-01 12:00:00" -e "2016-07-08 00:00:00" |grep "open"

grepping from node 3 to node 1 audit logs for open:

isi_audit_viewer -n 1 -t protocol -s "2016-01-01 12:00:00" -e "2016-07-08 00:00:00" |grep "open"

this is my command for both create and opened (it returned many more results so it may help to keep your focus narrow fyi)

isi_audit_viewer -n 1 -t protocol -s "2016-01-01 12:00:00" -e "2016-07-08 00:00:00" |grep "create" || "open"

I hope that helps you out a bit, and remember if you plan or foresee that you will be doing this often either sharpen those grep skills up or plan on getting a Varonis license to assist you in parsing this output.

Cheers,

D_Tracy

3 Posts

July 26th, 2016 08:00

Thanks a lot Tracy, it worked...!!! many thanks for your explanation...!!!

No Events found!