Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2016 14:00

Isilon IB switch

I have two 36 port IB switches. So I know can scale my cluster upto 36 nodes. Do you guys know what my IB switch options are when I want to scale my cluster beyond 36 nodes? Do I buy new set of IB switches and interconnect them with old pair? or Do I have to replace the old switches with a larger ports switches?

Thank you!

205 Posts

November 12th, 2016 04:00

You have to replace the switches.

450 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 12:00

Depends on your node refresh priorities.  The Gen6 nodes, can take an IB back-end or an Ethernet back-end.  I'd suggest you talk to your Isilon SE about your options.  Usually when it's time to talk about larger clusters than this, you might find that you're better off financially to get nodes with larger drives that are both denser and faster.  But it's a good conversation to have.  I remember some years back working on a cluster with 89x 72-NL nodes, with 36x2TB drives each.  At the time NL400-108 nodes were available, so the customer was able to go to a cluster 1/3rd the number of nodes, 1/3rd the number of disks, 1/3rd the power and cooling, so it made sense to upgrade early.

~Chris

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 12:00

It is best to upgrade to a larger switch platform such as the Intel TrueScale 12800 switch.

No Events found!