Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2013 18:00

Isilon NFS mount - ESX

Hi,

Today we presented  the first nfs  from x400 isilon to one of ESX host, then vmware admin try to mount it added 5 copies of same mount with nfsprd & nfsprod (1) & nfsprd (2) ..nfsprod (4) . we have 5 nodes in cluster with single dns name so issue here is when he mounted with  isilon_DNSname:/ifs/nfsprod it coming as 4 duplicated copies each for one node ip  but when he try to mount it with single node ip like  112.34.123.11:/ifs/nfsprod [ 112.xx.xx.xx  - node1 ip ] then it mounted as single mount point  so round robin is the issue here ? how to mount as single copy with isilon dns name ?

any help is appreciated.

1 Message

April 30th, 2013 06:00

It's a problem with VMWare 4.1 and lower - VMWare freaks when it sees the same name with different ip addresses and does that. Using an individual ip is the only way we found to deal with it - we ended up using 2 of them (we ended up with nfsprod (1) and nfsprod (2)) to try to spread the load out a little (at the cost of halving the number of hosts to DRS to). Luckily, it was an older cluster that we were migrating out of, so not much of an impact.

5.0 and up can handle it correctly by dns name, fwiw.

1 Message

April 30th, 2013 14:00

Exactly. I'm actually the one who first reported this bug to VMWare (on our NetApp cluster at the time, a couple years ago). Just use IPs and you're all set.

Vince

115 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 11:00

i opened case with isilon support , even they want me to use single ip as u guys told  but he didn't mention about 5.0 and up can handle it correctly i give a try later.

thanks guys.

No Events found!