Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2015 09:00

Isilon and Savin scanners.

We have some Windows shares that Savin scanners write to.  One of these shares was recently moved over to the Isilon as a SMB share.  Since that occurred, none of the Savin scanners can write to the share.  The share permissions are identical between the Windows and Isilon share.  Does anyone know of any incompatibility between Savin and Isilon?  I've been looking in the compatibility guides but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!

Mary

1.2K Posts

May 28th, 2015 10:00

Chris is possibly correct about the SMB1 possibility.  Assuming the Savin scanners are not using SMB1, have you checked the NTFS permissions, as well as the share permissions?  I'm assuming the Savin scanners use some kind of domain account to write over the network.  If so, I would try to connect to the Isilon as this user account and troubleshoot.  You might need to modify some of the permissions of this account to be able to write to files on the Isilon, which will require use of the command line.  There are several posts here, to that effect.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

1 Rookie

• 

573 Posts

Mary,

Can you post the error?

450 Posts

Mary,

If I had to venture an educated guess it would be that these scanners are using SMBv1 to write the data.  And not only is it SMBv1, but it's likely an extremely old version of SMBv1 that uses ASCII for setup and teardown messages.  The only other operating systems that I'm aware of which use this ASCII dialect for the setup and tear-down messages are HPUX, AIX, and Windows NT 4.0.  Needless to say Isilon only supports binary for setup and teardown, not ASCII.  This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I would consult with your SAVIN rep, and see if they have any newer versions of code available for the scanners that may have changed how they communicate.  Alternatively you could for this use case look towards using FTP for the scanners to store the data, because of course Isilon Supports that as well to the same folder/share.

To confirm that my hypotesis is correct you can certainly open an SR with EMC Support.

Hope this helps,

Chris Klosterman

chris.klosterman@emc.com

Senior Solution Architect

EMC Isilon Offer & Enablement Team

May 29th, 2015 08:00

We're using the keypad on the scanner to specify a share on the Isilon where the fax should be saved.  There is an option to test communications.  It immediately fails with "cannot connect".  However if we specify a Windows share as the destination the comm test works and the fax is saved.  We have been able to get scans saved to the Isilon but still can't save the faxes.

May 29th, 2015 08:00

Thank you for all of the responses.   We're checking in to all the suggestions that have been made and will update later.  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

573 Posts

May 29th, 2015 09:00

Mary,

Maybe use the IP address instead of the NETBIOS server name.

example:

\\Servername\Share -->\\IP address\Share

2 Posts

February 12th, 2016 12:00

We just fixed this exact issue with putting the Savin's authenticating username using the "domainname\username" on the Savin instead of just "username".

300 Posts

February 14th, 2016 23:00

some printermanufacturers seem to have quite a lot problems of understanding authentication.

If you are only using one authentication-domain for your printer/scanner authentication you could enable "assume Default Domain" on the Isilon which lets you authenticate with "username" instead of "domainname\username"

2 Posts

February 16th, 2016 09:00

Thanks, That is a better option and works as advertised.

No Events found!