Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2017 09:00

Migrating to Isilon from HNAS?

Hello All,

We are in the planning stages of migrating from a Hitachi HNAS to EMC Isilon running 8.0.0.4. I've looked into isi_vol_copy but isn't compatible due to HNAS doesn't support BRE.

Wondering if anyone has any experience or insight on best approach to migrate from Hitachi HNAS to EMC Isilon?

Thanks in advance

450 Posts

June 5th, 2017 10:00

Hello @jeremy_mc,

Call it a bit of shameless self-promotion, however, my company's software DobiMigrate is the best approach for any NAS to Isilon migration.  (it was formerly called DobiMiner).

isi_vol_copy, and isi_vol_copy_vnx are simply wrappers around ndmpcopy.  If you staying with one platform, let's say Celerra to VNX, then that's fine, but going between platforms, NDMP copies; are rarely a good choice.  Why? Because they are like trying to disassemble and re-assemble a china cabinet using only a small sledgehammer.  Will it work?  Maybe.  Will it break stuff on the way?  Probably.  Forgive the analogy, but really that's the point for an enterprise-class NAS migration you need to:

1. Prove that all the data made it correctly

2. Be flexible with regards to permission models, and be able to handle multiprotocol in a number of ways.

3. Lower the risk of mistakes in CLI-based scripts, and simplify reporting and timing.

4. Be faster than traditional scripted tools. but also must be able to be throttled

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to have a quick chat about how we do this differently than what you're used to.  Your Isilon account team can facilitate a call, or you can drop me a line directly, your choice.

Again, I'm not impartial here, but I once was when I worked for Isilon and wrote this:

https://community.emc.com/community/products/isilon/blog/2016/04/27/accelerating-your-journey-to-the-data-lake-with-dobiminer-from-datadobi

Let me know if we can be of any assistance,

Chris Klosterman

Principal Pre-Sales Consultant, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

30 Posts

June 14th, 2017 20:00

Hi @jeremy_mc

I've seen a number of migrations from various SMB/NFS platforms in the past a number of approaches exist usually the decision criteria comes around

1) mixed SMB/NFS permissions - security permissions and knowledge can be a stumbling block for file migrations

2) previous history of migrations with "free" tools such as rsync (NFS only type data)  or robo copy. Some customers have loads of experience with these tools.

3) willingness to have a 3rd party application or even services engagement to migrate the data.

4) leveraging built in tools like isi_vol_copy.

I would say in general I see the fastest completion time using products such as DataDobi especially when compared with robo copy or EMcopy (EMC based tool)

Hope this helps.

Jeff Wiggins

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

June 14th, 2017 21:00

jeremy_mc

Agree with crklosterman & Jeffrey Wiggins. How much data do you need to migrate? Did you get Isilon PS or had the deal with DataDobi involved? I just recently did a migration with HDS ->Isilon via DataDobi and it worked flawlessly.

Phil

No Events found!