Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2015 21:00

Migration to Isilon

Dear Friends,

I have just joined and EMC Community and it feels great.

I would require help and I am hoping to get a direction to begin with a task I am trying to accomplish.

I am fairly new to Isilon though I have experience in storage administration for VNX, VMAX, Recover Point, Clariion DMX.

I need to migrate the data from overland storage to Isilon. an SMB of 100 TB is created on overland storage. Initially I thought of using Robocopy by creating a jump server and mapping the source (overland SMB) and target (Isilon SMB) to it but due to big SMB size and being a single SMB and keeping in mind the complexity and error check & remediation, I had to leave robocopy as an option.

The approach that is looking good is to mount overland SMB as an NFS export to Isilon and do a copy at Isilon itself using linux based commands.

Please let me know your thoughts if this approach will work and will copy the data with existing permissions and if possible help me with the commands too.

Many Thanks !!

Regards,

Yuvik

Mob: +919910977900

450 Posts

Yuvik,

Emcopy in general is far faster than Robocopy, especially with high file counts, and especially in incrementals.  The other benefit to use that over robocopy is that it is supported by EMC Support, so if you have issues, there is a logical place to turn within EMC.  Emcopy version 4.17 is the most recent release, and the readme file that is bundled with it should cover many of the detailed switches you'll need.  If you find that you need some extra assistance, of course you can turn to the community, or ask your EMC account team.  So with that, welcome to the community, and enjoy the new Isilon cluster.

~Chris Klosterman

Senior Solution Architect

EMC Isilon Offer & Enablement Team

chris.klosterman@emc.com

twitter: @croaking

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

won't you lose SMB ACLs in the process ?  robocopy /mt or emcopy are super fast. You could run multiple parallel jobs, as long as you have enough memory in your jump server and a pretty good network pipe. That's how i migrated ~350TB of data from NS80 a couple of years go.

13 Posts

March 24th, 2015 20:00

Thanks Chris. If Emcopy is supported by EMC support then I guess it might be a paid tool or a licensed one ?? If so I might need to check if we could use it.

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

March 25th, 2015 10:00

EMCopy is free. If you have a service agreement with EMC, then they can support you if you have issues.

https://download.emc.com/downloads/DL14101_EMCOPY_File_migration_tool_4.17.exe

13 Posts

April 15th, 2015 06:00

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies and sorry for coming back late. So upon some testing I felt that emcopy, teracopy or robocopy can also be an option. I have tested the Data transfer speed (overland to isilon) & (isilon to overland) using a mediated windows server and using teracopy and it was OK (50MB/s avg). I would request anyone of you, if you would take out a little time for a small discussion over call or webex so I could show you the environment and so we could decide the copy approach. Dynamox ?? ... Please reply with your email | phone & timezone details & I will make sure to contact you for a small discussion if that is OK with you.

Thank you !!

Yuvik

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 15th, 2015 07:00

what specifically would you want to discuss on a call ?

450 Posts

April 15th, 2015 08:00

Yuvik,

Keep in mind that a large portion of the folks on ECN are customers (like dynamox), not just EMC employees. I'm sure that if you reach out to your EMC account team, they can certainly arrange a call with EMC Isilon PS resources to help discuss this topic.  Whether you choose ultimately to do the migration yourself, or to leverage EMC PS resources, or a third-party tool, or some combination of the 3 options is ultimately up to you, but if you want to talk to folks that do migrations to Isilon, there isn't a better place to find that skillset than EMC Professional Services.

~Chris

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 15th, 2015 09:00

let's point out that PS engagement are not free.

450 Posts

April 15th, 2015 10:00

Yep of course not and I did not mean to imply otherwise, however a discussion of your options can be free, and your account team can be a great resource to facilitate these types of discussions.

~Chris

13 Posts

April 16th, 2015 00:00

Sure, no issues. Thank you guys. Thanks a lot.. Will definitely include EMC PS if required...

Regards,

Yuvik

13 Posts

April 24th, 2015 05:00

Thanks Phil. I did a small POC. Emcopy was useful.

No Events found!