Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2013 08:00

NetApp to isilon migration

Just want to clarify these points to do a netapp to isilon migration.

1. Any idea whether I can use sharedup/lgdup to migrate shares/localgroups from Netapp CIFS server to Isilon CIFS ?

2. Using isi_vol_copy command, during the incremental copy will it delete the fileA on Isilon if a fileA is deleted at the source ( like /MIR or /PURGE in robocopy)

3. If I have antivirus running on the isilon, do I need to stop the AV completely or mention folder exclusion path (target isilon folder) whil AV keep running ?

4. If I have snapshotIQ configured on the parent folder already, and copying qtree from netapp to under this folder, should I delete the checkpoints and then do the copy? will it consume more space from onefs just like savvol consumes more space in celerra. There is no savvol concepts in isilon I know, but still asking.

5.  If there is any tree/user/group quotas present on the Netapp, what the best way to migrate the data. Copy all the data, then implement quotas in isilon?

6. If it is a multiprotocol file system on the netapp, should I use rsync first and then run emcopy/robocopy or instead i can use isi_vol_copy ?

thanks in advance.

-H

June 18th, 2013 18:00

Just to clarify on one point, isi_vol_copy will by default delete files on the target that were deleted on the source keeping them in sync.  Maybe as pointed out it can be configured to not delete though.

132 Posts

May 17th, 2013 13:00

The answer will depend on what version of OneFS you will migrate data.

OneFS 6.5:

1) Probably

2) No deletion of files on source.  Just a copy.  isi_vol_copy leverages NDMP and it is only doing a backup so no deletions.

3) This will depend on the method you use.  I do not believe isi_vol_copy will cause AV scan to kick off.  TO be safe you can turn it off.  If you use robocopy/emcopy it will cause AV scan to kick off.

4) This question is not very clear.  If you are asking what happens if you did a snapshot on the Isilon where the destination of your migration data will land, does this cause extra space usage, the answer to that is not really.  Since all the data is new, there will be no additional space required.  You can continue to take snapshots that cover the migration directory and no real extra space will be taken up for NEW data.  If you are migrating data that is changing, then those change blocks will take up space via the snapshots.

5) You have to re-implement all the quotas.  This can be scripted.  Be careful when you set quotas on the Isilon, we do not support de-duplication so if the NetApp volume has de-dupe enabled, you need to account for the fully rehydrated data size.

6) Use isi_vol_copy.  Just be aware of some of the limitations.

OneFS 7.0:

Same as 6.5 for everything other than:

1). This completely does not work.  You will have to use other tools to migrate over the shares/local users and groups.  There is a script and some tools available to help with this process.  You need a PS engagement in general to get support for the tools.

127 Posts

June 19th, 2013 12:00

Yes Chris is right, I have tested it and incremental isi_vol_copy does delete files on destination if deleted on the source during the sync.

* Sharedup will work. Lgdup did not work for me.

2 Intern

• 

165 Posts

April 21st, 2014 08:00

Is isi_vol_copy better than emcopy and robocopy for OneFS 7.0 ?

Is there a comprehensive document on how to use isi_vol_copy

127 Posts

April 25th, 2014 07:00

Rdamal, check this primus emc14003712 for emcopy syntax. From my experience so far, I will only use isi_vol_copy if the netapp volume is used by both CIFS/NFS clients ( MIXED) or NFS only volume. If it is purely SMB data I will go for emcopy which is faster than isi_vol_copy and robocopy. isi_vol_copy incrementals use to take 5 hours for a volume and emcopy did the same in 40 minutes. Also isi_vol_copy has lot of bugs where it was not keeping the "create date" time stamp of the files on code 7.0.2.4, 5.

2 Intern

• 

165 Posts

April 25th, 2014 08:00

Thanks Narahari, the KB is helpful

No Events found!