Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2016 19:00

Options to export/backup from ISILON to seperate SAN?

Ok, might be a little frowned upon, but the bosses have *taxed*....oooops sorry *tasked* me with needing to backup some things from time to time from the datacenter in another location to a local SAN....not much, probably around 100tb max.

I'm attempting to figure out the best method;

Design: many node Isilon on 7.2.1.1, over 10gb Fibre to local *old* 200TB SAN on Fiber to Switch.

I can setup iSCSI locally, but cant seem to get the Isilon to go externally to iSCSI, only local?

I could just SMB transfer with a program, it *would* have to be free of course.

I could cron job a copy to a mounted share - but thats a bit of an exposure I dont really wish to do.

Oh also ive been asked to make this as seamless and painless as possible in case someone non techy has to press the go button.

(I might as well solve that little problem the world has with "World Peace" while im at it!)

Any suggestions??

THX!

_L_

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 28th, 2016 19:00

you are mentioning fiber channel fabric in your "old SAN fabric and Isilon. Isilon does not understand fiber channel unless you purchase a Isilon NDMP accelerator and start doing traditional NDMP backups.  We need to step back and understand exactly what your requirements are. You said backups, what is it that you want to backup (entire cluster, selected folders) , what is your RTO/RPO.

34 Posts

August 28th, 2016 20:00

Oops - sorry at the ISILON - SFP 10gb Fiber x4 to backbone (at that point im not sure of the network/backbone design - not privy to that), then locally i've got fiber to local switch to SFP/Fiber down to the local SAN via fiber.

Ahh to backup, specific folders only.

RTO/RPO? it wont be for live re-placement or DR Site of *if* the ISILON fails, but just a safeguard to say: "Sure! we have a 2nd copy".

For now, eventually after this POC I guess I'd call it, a future plan of what/how can be removed from primary data store perhaps to another media, but for now its just the "Sure!...." can it be done comment.

So all in all, POC *if* it could be done, yea that would be great.

_L_

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

August 28th, 2016 22:00

As Dynamox says, an A100 Backup accelerator has 8G Fiber SAN connection to connect to SAN.  Another idea is to use another NL4xx cluster and SyncIQ many:1 cluster (probably easiest route).

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 29th, 2016 04:00

sounds like  you just want a "bunker" copy, can't use it to service customers but the data is there. To me this is not practical but you could stand up a Windows box, present fiber channel storage locally and then use robocopy/emcopy to copy the data from Isilon. 100TB is not trivial especially if it's millions of tiny little files, eventually it would get copied.  So you have this copy, and you run robocopy/emcopy every day or every week. You don't have any versioning so you only have the latest version of something, if you need to "restore" 50 terabytes, it might take you days to copy it back to Isilon.  While this is possible not sure how much value it will provide to your organization.  Get your bean counters to invest into a 3 node HD-series cluster for deep archive and SyncIQ/SnapshotIQ licenses

34 Posts

August 29th, 2016 18:00

G'Day dynamox,

That pretty much migh be the go I think, robocopy or even the cron job for now till more $$$ could *found*.

Truth be told, we have 4x HD400's plus a myriad of other nodes - but its a *what if???* though by the bosses.

Furthermore, the types and sizes of files are the killer; from 2kb through to 3tb - its just NASTY.

I must admin previously in our early POC we had two sites for over a year and the SyncIQ was just brill!

__L__

34 Posts

August 29th, 2016 18:00

G'Day Phil,

Thanks for the reply.....I'd like to have more nodes - but we are already running 4x HD400's + many more nodes.

but bosses being bosses - *what happens if???*.

So, yea....just fleshing out possibilities with the old *other branded company system* and how I could push/pull some data to it.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

_L_

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

August 29th, 2016 21:00

Robocopy/EMCopy, rsync are proven methods to replicate data.  Those may be the best methods for you.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 30th, 2016 04:00

if you do go down this route, you need to set expectations with your management accordingly.  This solution might be ok for restoring a couple of files here and there but if you have complete meltdown, what good is that data if you can't get to it fast enough.

34 Posts

August 31st, 2016 21:00

G'Day guys,

Many thanks for the replies and support.

I hope that we'll never need to even look at it again, and yes dynamox expectations *will* be expressed once ive documented whats been set in play.

Talk again in the future....

_L_

No Events found!