Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2015 07:00

Smart connect advanced in mixed protocol environments

Hello,

I was wondering if it is necessary/recommended to use different network for different zones ?

For example, I am configuring 10.0.0.0/24 zone with a static IP allocation policy for my SMB clients.

Do I have to use a different network for NFS connections that I would like the IPs to be "dynamically allocated" as a Fail over policy?

For example 10.0.1.0/24 would be reserved for NFS.

Thanks for any input!

205 Posts

November 19th, 2015 11:00

That's theoretically best practice. In general usage, we run both on the same pool from time to time, depending on various bugs in the OneFS stack (none of which exist now, as far as I know).

21 Posts

November 20th, 2015 22:00

No, there is no need to do this. We have a lot of smart connect setup, running in the same IP ranges. We are also using two different subnets, subnet0 / subnet1, but this is because we are moving from one datacenter setup to another. We have different zones setup in each subnet. We find the SmartConnect works flawless. Typical problems are due to misconfiguration.

Like in every "advanced setup", you have to know what you're doing.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2015 06:00

if you have smartconnect advanced license i would simply setup on subnet with multiple pools. One pool with static allocation for SMB clients and another pool with dynamic allocation for NFS clients.

54 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 06:00

Thank you guys.

I just wished there were clear guidances from EMC regarding this subject !

104 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 08:00

JS Labonte,

This is basically a question of weather the protocol is stateless or stateful.

Recommendation are based on such; stateless, is dynamic and stateful is static.

Please see the following best practice guide, starting at the end of page 21, and beginning of page 22.

Note this may require to log in:

https://support.emc.com/docu58740_Isilon-External-Network-Connectivity-Guide---Routing,-Network-Topologies,-and-Best-Pra…

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 09:00

No Events found!