Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2018 08:00

Support Contracts

Guys,

What are you guys doing about yearly support/maintance contracts? I just finished my 3 years with my Isilon system and I get an invoice for over $80k for 1 year support contract. Then I get the BUT WAIT, we will give you a great deal on buying a new system and even give you .10 cents on the dollar for your old system.

Am I the only one that finds this to be a total scam. What do you guys do when you are out of support? Can a onetime support fee be paid if I need emergency help?

1.2K Posts

July 11th, 2018 07:00

DellEMC does do time and materials (T&M) support for nearly all of its storage products, including Isilon.

Isilon is largely an expensive software stack running on inexpensive hardware.  It only stands to reason that the ongoing software support costs are high, relative to storage platforms that are more hardware than software.  I'm talking about HPE, Hitachi, etc. in that sense.  I've found that Isilon's software support pricing is pretty similar to the cost for NetApp software support and other software solutions.

In the past, we'd quoted five-year support contracts initially - I don't know why anyone only does three year, unless they expect to throw the equipment away at the end.

Let me know if that helps!

Karl

No Events found!