Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2013 09:00

SyncIQ - using the remote replica

Working with a customer recently with a large data store of 75TB of video data, the video data needs to be accessible in two different locations.

• Location one is the primary location which ingests/add's content to the filesystem as well as performs a playout function for the environment.
  • Location two is a secondary site which needs a copy of the data for DR purposes but they would also like to read the data for local playout functions

The question around using SyncIQ to solve a replication, content distribution quandary that the customer is facing.

SyncIQ creates a secondary copy on the target cluster.  This copy is read only and normally not being used, however it is possible to create a read-only share on the secondary cluster pointing to the snapshot directory/pointer of the replica.

If the SyncIQ policy is creating multiple updates per day you can also automate the share definition via command line to point at the new share and the data becomes visible to the SMB share.

The destination filesystem will have a .snapshot_timestamp copy of the share.  Using a shell script you can check for the latest snapshot instance and redirect the share definition.  Testing this on a Windows SMB mount the windows file explorer updated the contents with the new read-only data.

Handy to use if you only need R/O data at the secondary site.

April 20th, 2017 16:00

We have a small development Isilon cluster which I would like to  access from our development HPC cluster, and I used SyncIQ ot make a copy of our production HPC data from our production Isilons.  The sync policy is manual, so it will not be run on any schedule.

I have two questions, (1) how can I make the copy on target read/write for use with our dev HPC, and (2) is there any way to occasionally overwrite and refresh these files from production?

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

356 Posts

April 21st, 2017 05:00

You can perform a sync copy only.  A sync copy will just be a copy and shouldn't lock the data at the destination as read only.

You would have to double check but I don't think the sync copy will overwrite existing files.

As far as keeping the two in sync after that, you maybe able to use a secondary server to rsync the two directories.

30 Posts

April 23rd, 2017 15:00

You can check out some of the functions in recent Superna versions to help customers create "Writable copies of SyncIQ"  I haven't personally tested but it looks like it would help with the automation,

No Events found!