Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2018 01:00

What is the best tool to migration from Netapp C-Mode to Isilon?

hi Team

customer is having netapp C-MOde and is planning to migrate to Isilon.

Isi_volcopy is not supported for C-Mode.

he is enquiring if there is any alternate Storage replication  based tool to do this.

He does not want to use host based (Robo copy etc.) as the incremental copy will take more time.

kindly advice.

Thanks.

450 Posts

May 7th, 2018 10:00

Hello Akarsh,

You're right, isi_vol_copy doesn't support NetApp Clustered-Mode, aka CDOT, now known simply as ONTAP 9.  Keep in mind, it was never much more than a custom wrapper around ndmpcopy in the first place.  So host-based tools is all you're left with.  That said, the old-style, free, host-based tools like robocopy, rsync, etc. certainly can never keep up with large migrations, (both capacity or file-count).  You're right there, because they are:

• slow at first full
  • extremely slow at incrementals with high file counts (long outage windows as you've described)
  • very labor intensive
  • un-supported

So what are you left with?  Commercial tools.  Now I'm biased of course, because of where I work, however it's my genuine opinion that our migration software, DobiMigrate, does this better than anything else on the market.  Why?  It was purpose built for this, is API integrated with NetApp 7M and CDOT, and Isilon's OneFS.  It's far faster, and takes shares, exports, and other configuration settings over as well. 

Performance comparison for those interested (still on DECN community site):

Accelerating your Journey to the data lake with DobiMiner from Datadobi

Anyway, feel free to drop me a line if you'd like more information, or to schedule a demo,

Chris Klosterman

Principal Pre-Sales Consultant, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

No Events found!