Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2018 11:00

open files and sessions overview for entire cluster

Hi.

I'm trying to come up with a way to get a simple overview of all open files and sessions for the entire cluster. I've tried the Microsoft 'Shares' MMC, but that only works for one node at a time. The cli command isi_for_array isi smb openfile list gives me only open directories without any details as to which file is opened by whom and from which client. Plus, the formatting and sorting is way too jumbled to make sense to the casual user.

Ideally, I would like to have the level of information the MMC provides (name of file, name of user, client workstation) but for the entire cluster.

Does anyone have any advice or a nifty trick to pull this off?

117 Posts

April 13th, 2018 09:00

You can change the output to a table format instead of the default 'list' format.  Try this:

isi_for_array -s isi smb openfiles list --verbose --format=table

This combines openfiles with session, still some work required to correlate username to computer name/IP.

isi_for_array -s "isi smb openfiles list --verbose --format=table --no-footer ; isi smb sessions list --format=table --no-footer"

57 Posts

April 13th, 2018 10:00

Superna eyeglass is looking at an open files feature for help desk to see open files and break the lock on a file.  It would list all zones and files and allow delegation of this one function within Eyeglass to a help desk function.

If  this matches your use case let me know.

Andrew

3 Posts

April 13th, 2018 11:00

Thank you Yan. Indeed the no-footer parameter cleans up the output a bit, but it still doesn't give me the actual open files, just the folders in use. I've opened a couple of files to test this, and I can see the directories opened, but not the files.

Besides, I'd have to allow the support staff to use the CLI using the root account or put them in the sudoers file (or they wouldn't be allowed to run isi_for_array). That would be a bit of a sledgehammer approach.

I was hoping a DellEMC developer would have used his spare time to reverse-engineer the rpc calls made by the Shares MMC and make them call the entire cluster

3 Posts

April 16th, 2018 11:00

Hi Andrew,

That sounds exactly like what we're trying to achieve. I guess it would depend on whether it's available right now and what it would cost.

57 Posts

April 17th, 2018 04:00

It is planned for our next release 2.5.4 which is a couple months away.

The UI looks like below.    This feature has a role to allow helpdesk to access only this UI to find files and break locks.   It will part of this product license https://www.supernaeyeglass.com/cluster-storage-monitor   If interested your Dell EMC Rep can quote this product for you.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 7.56.23 AM.png

No Events found!