Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2015 10:00

symbolic links

I'm trying to configure symbolic links with isilon.

Per this update, it appears to be supported

Symbolic links through SMB

My initial testing lets me create the symbolic links on a Windows SMB client and I can see the Source files thru the symbolic link created but if I create a 'new' file via the symbolic link, it doesn't appear on the Source folder (and vice versa).

similar symbolic links created on NTFS volumes work fine without the above issue.

Has anybody worked with symbolic links for SMB clients on isilon (onefs 7.1.1.x) and if so, were you successful?

Thanks.

205 Posts

November 19th, 2015 14:00

Where does the new file appear?

Have you done the Windows fsutil settings? That was the only way we got our symlinks to function sanely on Windows clients.

3 Apprentice

• 

592 Posts

November 20th, 2015 11:00

Check this KB.

193808 : OneFS 7.1.1 and 7.2: How to disable OneFS translation of SMB2 symbolic links and revert to legacy behavior

https://support.emc.com/kb/193808

89 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 05:00

I set the fsutil parameters. I did some additional testing on a Windows 2008 R2 server to a Isilon OneFS v7.1.1.2 cluster.

I created two folders in the system access zone /ifs/data/test sharename test$

and /ifs/data/test2 sharename test2$

I mapped my Z: drive to test$ and Y: to test2$

Z: is my Link source drive

Y: is my Drop for the symbolic link

Attempting to drop the symbolic link to the Y: drive fails with 'Link Shell Extension: (3). The system cannot find the path specified.

Phil, I haven't reviewed the 193808 kb article yet but I'll review it and let you know if it applies.

Thanks.

254 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 11:00

If I have 2 shares, at /ifs/data/test and /ifs/data/test2 and under /ifs/data/test I put a directory link called mylink.  I put a folder called "In test2" just to show where you are.

Now, when I traverse mylink, I am in the test2 directory.  I'll attach screen shot here.  I'm not sure if this is what you are looking to do, but it shows symlinks working in a similar scenario.

link.jpg

No Events found!