Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2013 16:00

1 of 2 USB ports disabled by Windows 7

This morning I allowed MS to install various updates. After the usual reboot the right-hand USB port was not working.  After some trial-and-error I discovered that by hitting F12 during reboot I could get to a diagnostic area -- in which BOTH USB ports are working -- so it's not hardware but software.  I would like to rollback the updates but can't figure out how.  MS says that holding down F8 during the boot will get me to a safe mode where I might do the rollback, but that doesn't work on this laptop -- XPS15

August 26th, 2013 17:00

Tried that.

There were actually two "USB Root Hub" entries -- tried both -- one at a time.

Right port still not working. I plugged in a thumb drive that lights up when plugged in to a live USB port and I see that it lights during the
reboot process and then the light goes out when Windows starts.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 26th, 2013 17:00

Hi George,

XPS L501X and L502X, both have one USB /eSATA Connector on the right side.

Try uninstalling the USB Controllers from the device manager and restart the system.

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen 
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’
  • Click > sign next to ‘Universal Serial Bus Controller’
  • Right click on the ‘USB Root Hub’ entry and click on ‘Uninstall’
  • Restart the system.

Note: Do not uninstall the USB 3.0 Root Hub entries as you will have to install specific drivers for them once uninstalled.

Please provide the exact system model in case of any further issues.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

August 26th, 2013 19:00

I finally was able to roll back the updates to 8/23 -- 3 days ago and the right port came back to life. Thank You, Bill Gates.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 27th, 2013 14:00

Hi George,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

As the issue was caused by windows updates, you may try installing the updates manually to check which of the updates caused the issue.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. 

August 27th, 2013 15:00

Curiouser and curiouser.  I reinstalled the updates and the problem did not recur.  Might have had something to do with the order or with other stuff running at the time. Or maybe MS fixed the problem in between.

George

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 27th, 2013 18:00

Hi George,

Great! You were able to install back all the required updates with no further issues with the USB port.

Please feel free to reply in case of any further issues.

No Events found!