Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2010 14:00

11z (1110) Integrated Webcam BSOD - Drivers Download?

Edit:  I resolved this issue by reinstalling Webcam Central software.  I downloaded it from https://smartsource.dell.com.  Just in case someone else has this problem.  :-)

Hello.  A few weeks ago, I got an 11z laptop.  Initially the webcam seemed to work, as I poked around in the Webcam Central software a bit, but I really didn't use it.  Now when I start Webcam central (or even try to use Skype's video), the webcam's light turns on briefly, and then Win7HP x64 blue screens.  Although the system is set to write a log, no log gets written.  Nothing is recorded in the Event logs, either.

Win7 is using the default Microsoft driver dated 2006, and I can find no driver download on the support page for the 11z.  Finally I did an in-place Windows "upgrade," thinking it might reinstall the webcam driver and cure any conflict causing the problem.  No change.  Starting the webcam still causes a BSOD.

Has anyone seen this problem?  Initially I wanted to do a clean install of the OS, so I ordered CDs/DVDs from Dell.  Only the Win7HP x64 install DVD was recent.  The others were dated 2004 and didn't apply to my machine, so I tossed them.

Any advice?  Again, it appears to be a driver issue or conflict, as it matters not which application starts the webcam.  The problem occurs with both Webcam Central and Skype (latest version).

BTW, I ended up not doing a clean install.  I just cleaned up the system using Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, etc.

My 11z has the Pentium U4100 CPU and 4GB RAM.  I also ordered it with the Dell 1520 wlan card, no Bluetooth.  System is stock otherwise.

TIA!

No Responses!
No Events found!