Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2010 12:00

11z Video problem

I have a less than 2 month old Inspirion 11z.

Last time I shut it down everything was fine.

Booted up and the video is messed up.  Everything has a purple tint to it and anywhere there is suppose to be color other than white or black you can see little dots (very tiny purple colored dots) instead of a solid color. 

It is not very stable either.  Like on the oem Dell screen background which is a dark wispy background the patterns fluctuate some .  

I have rebooted multiple times,  no effect.   pulled ou the battery for a bit then back in and rebooted,  probled was gone for 1 hour then came back just as before.

Went to the Dell driver site and installed the latest Graphics driver they had , no change. 

Went to Intel site and downloaded latest Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver there.  v 8.15.10.2104...    no change...

If I pick the laptop up and move it around it causes fluctuation in the display..   Makes me think something hardware related is loose or failing...

Inspiron 11z

U4100 1.30GHz pent.

4g ram

win7 64bit

1366 x 768 res.

A06 bios..

Is this possibly a Motherboard problem?   at least it is under warranty still...  anyone else have a similar problem?

Any suggestions welcome..

13 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 14:00

Follow up after talking to dell support:

Called support and talked with 3 support people,  the usual shuffle to get me to the correct person,  no problems, once at the correct person had a short 5 minute conversation and they are sending a repair person to replace my mother board and LCD screen.

I am not sure why they want to replace the screen , maybe they know more than I do though.... and maybe others have had similar problems ...

All in all so far I am happy with the service...  let's see how it ends up after the repair.... 

( its Saturday now and suppose to be a repair person Tuesday as that fits my schedule..)

13 Posts

May 31st, 2010 21:00

Follow up 2..

Tec came by and replaced lcd and motherboard.   Fixed problem,  (was motherboard).

However , later I realized the laptop was no longer charging the battery and it would not run on AC power at all....

Emailed the new problem, was called back within an hour and a half.  They are sending out another motherboard plus a battery , a new ac adaptor  and  a tec to install. 

I believe they think the current motherboard that was installed the other day is bad..

I will say that the phone support I have experienced is very good,  I know many trash talk about calling India for support but IMO they have been nothing but top notch in their service..

So let's see what the 2nd service appointment brings....

Am I happy being without my laptop for the past week and a half,,, of course not..  but they are doing what the say they will .. and have been pretty prompt in responding to me...

13 Posts

June 5th, 2010 13:00

All Is fixed..  The tec simply missed a plug the first time,  So after all is said and done I have a new lcd, motherboard battery , ac adapter.  Computer works great.  No other problems..

It did take longer than I would have liked but it is fixed , free of charge..

The people I had contact with , the phone support people in India were very professional and helpful.  I had no problem understanding them and they responded pretty quick to my emails.  When  I emailed them after the first service appointment they returned my email with a phone call  with in 1 and a half hours and set up the next service appt.

The tec that came to my house was good,  I actually think I probably distracted him by talking too much with him as he worked on my laptop...  As soon as he opened it up the second time he spotted the problem...

Bottom line is ,  I'd be happy to work with the same people any time..

They really did seem to be committed  to solving my problem.

No Events found!