Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2013 18:00

16 GB Ram for "New" Inspiron 15R 5521

My new Inspiron 15R 5521 shows the 8GB ram and states it supports 16GB. I have the 1.8 GHZ I5 processor and 1TB 5400 HD. Will changing the ram to 16GB make a noticeable difference?..........................Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 28th, 2013 12:00

The answer depends on your expectations.  Don't expect another 8G to improve performance - it just won't make much of a speed difference.  It WILL allow you to keep more programs open at a time with reduced disc swapping.  

June 4th, 2013 05:00

hi I just installed 2x8gb so-dimm ddr3 modules from Corsair in mein and its running like a rocket.

the real difference is when working in lightroom or photosho. for word or wed there is no real difference 

hope that helps

1.5K Posts

February 25th, 2013 00:00

Hi orucco ,

I would like to inform you that I have checked the system details maximum memory supported for this system by us if 8Gb.

Increasing the RAM in any system makes a noticeable different in the speed as RAM is responsible for running the current programs on the system.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

24 Posts

February 25th, 2013 09:00

I would like to inform you that the information in this Dell laptop states it is equipped with 8GB and  supports 16GB.That info is from Dell! So I have no idea who the "us" you refer to is! I wanted to hear from some more experienced folks who could comment on would an ram incrrease be noticeable with a 5400 rpm hdd.

1.5K Posts

February 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi orucco,

Kindly provide us with the picture of the laptop where it states that it supports 16gb RAM as I have checked specifications for the same and it shows 8gb maximum supported.

You can check the link below for specifications for laptop where it confirms the same:

http://bit.ly/VKoaxb

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

24 Posts

February 26th, 2013 10:00

Dell Support Center: System Information

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:11:42 AM

System Summary

Product Inspiron 5521

BIOS Version String A04

Service Tag BJRRGW1

Express Service Code 251-400-942-73

Operating System

Name Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Service Pack Service Pack 0

Build Number 9200

DirectX Version 11

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz (CPU:0)

Name Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz

Cores 2

Threads 4

System Memory

Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB

Maximum Supported Memory 16.00 GB

272 Posts

February 26th, 2013 12:00

@orucco - ummm you may want to edit your post, perhaps it would be a good idea to remove your service tag # and Express Service Code as well. :emotion-1:

24 Posts

February 26th, 2013 18:00

Thanks! I normally would but wanted to end the banter back and forth with the mod. I have come to this forum for over 12 years and the only legit advice or help has come from other users, many of the "superstars" such as "Rockstar", "Pudgy One", "Fireberd", The late "Denny Denham", and others. It appears these moderators have no support from Dell itself and many times take a 3rd party position or a resort to the old "reformat your HDD" for lack of any other answer. It was users who forced Dell to replace power supplies with larger ones and initiate bios corrections on the Studio XPS1645 a couple of years ago and that was only after the complaints were also posted on another board and the Dell moderators were going there and referring it back to engineers. Sorry for the long reply.  

1.5K Posts

February 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi orucco ,

We truly appreciate your feedback and inputs on the same. Please be assured that we would try out best to answer all your queries to your satisfaction.

I would like to inform you that according to us system maximum supported and recommended by us would be 8Gb only. However, we have seen many systems working fine over the same limit as well and there were alot of system which either doesn't boot after maximum upgrade or become unstable.

So if you wish you can upgrade it to 16gb. However, we would neither recommend the same nor would be able to support in any failure.

Regarding what is reported by the Dell Support Centre we would get it checked and rectified. You can download the latest version for the same from the link below and check again:

http://dell.to/Y1HhSZ

Also, please ensure that you do not enter any information like service tag or express service code in the public post if required we would ask you the same on a private message.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

24 Posts

February 27th, 2013 11:00

I went to your link and it said "no updates available". This pc was just built on 2/5/13 and has the latest DSC already! That is why I left the service tag figuring you as a Dell employee could see for yourself the configuration. If you do not know just say so instead of telling folks to do do unnecessary actions. Obviously you have nothing to contribute so do not bother replying again. Maybe go over and help the moderators on the XPS 13 track pad issues that have been telling folks to download drivers and they are referring to engineers for over  a year to no avail on that issue.

1.5K Posts

February 28th, 2013 04:00

Hi orucco ,

We truly regret the inconvenience that has been caused to you. I can confirm that this system maximum supported RAM by us is for 8 Gb and I understand Dell support centre is reporting maximum RAM of 16Gb.

Please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

Once we have this information we would raise the same and get it rectified on the Support Center as well.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

24 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

Are you kidding me!!! All that info is in my previous post! If you have nothing to offer why do you contine to waste my time!

24 Posts

February 28th, 2013 13:00

Thanks!

1 Message

November 4th, 2013 19:00

thanks shotbyscott - dell had me worried on those prev posts since I have 2 8G memory mods coming in the mail.  I assumed that ALL 64 bit processors supported, at least 16G memory.

November 6th, 2013 04:00

Just like ShotBYScott said, it won't make your laptop go any faster, but it will make you open more programs without your system becoming slow.

I just wanted to confirm that this model can support 16 GB of RAM as when i bought it from the retail store, they offered me the option of 8 GB of RAM that was already installed or i could pay extra and get an upgraded 16 GB of RAM instead. And that was DELL official retail store. So yeah it is real.

For me having 16 GB of RAM is important because i use virtual machines so having more RAM to have multiple VMs running is pretty important.

No Events found!