Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2013 16:00

17R SE 7720 Bezel Problems, broken by Dell tech?

I just had my screen replaced by a Dell tech, still a bad screen but better then the last, but that is a different story. I just now noticed that my bezel is no longer flush with the screen. It has a big gap near the camera, and an even bigger one that is near the right hinge. I can pop that one back into place but after closing the lid and reopening it it pops back out again. Here are some pictures. Is this normal, did I just now notice it since I am inspecting it so much or did the tech break it?

Bowed out near right hinge.

Top near camera, see that light leaking through.

Left top, less bowed out near left edge, less light leaking through bezel.

Normally I would try to fix this myself but since I am debating returning the machine for a refund I don't want to touch it.

Thanks.

62 Posts

February 5th, 2013 19:00

Well I just got off the phone with the return department and will be getting a refund once they receive the system. I see that on the US Dell website they no longer have the 17R SE with the 900p screen (Maybe because that display is awful).

My current system has an i5-3210m, with 900p display, and 1TB HDD for $899. I even tried to see if they would let me exchange my current system for the configuration now shown on the Dell website (i5-3230m, with 1080p, and 750GB HDD, also $899). However after being on hold for around 45 minutes they said it has to be the exact same system with the exact same components. I guess they saved me by not letting me get another one, how does that old saying go? Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

On the bright side I get to close my Dell Preferred Account.

February 7th, 2013 03:00

I just had my screen replaced by an onsite tech last weekend and have pretty much the exact same issue. When I saw your pictures of the bezel by the right hinge I thought someone had stolen the pictures I took!

The tech also managed to break some of the tabs that actually attach the bezel in the upper right corner down the side seam. This machine is junk. The tech was here for three hours trying to replace the screen and complained the whole time about what a design the computer was.

No Events found!