Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2017 00:00

17R SE 7720 --> cannot update BIOS under win10

Hi,

I downloaded the latest (and older) versions of the BIOS update (e.g. A17) and I tried to UPDATE BIOS by running the exe under win10 and I even created a bootable devise following DELL instructions.

Both run through, but while booting no update happened. I checked windows logs, but no indication whatsoever.

Does anyone had the same problem and can help? Please no general advices :-)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2017 13:00

You will need to prepare a bootable USB flash drive with windows 7 or 8 on it.  Rufus is one relatively easy way to do this.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

(you'll need to use the original recovery media you created before you did the 10 upgrade).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

There is no later bios for your model. What bios do you have? Why are you trying to downgrade/upgrade? If Win 10 is working OK, forget about any bios update. That is always the safest thing to do. Go to your download page at Dell Support and let Dell help you check for win 10 updates.

www.dell.com/.../advanced

I have A11 and the fan is running often without any reason. Therefore I like to update the BIOS. I got all windows updates available from Microsoft and all device drivers are update to date.

I just cannot update my BIOS as explained above.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

A BIOS update isn't likely to solve that.  A thorough clean-out of all dust in the system, and replacement of the thermally conductive pads under the heatsink assemblies likely will -- on a system this  age, they do dry out and cease transferring heat effectively.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2017 14:00

This system is old enough the BIOS exe likely won't run under Windows 10.  You will need an earlier version of Windows to get it to run - it's a 4-5 year old system without official Windows 10 support.

You can also try right-clicking on the exe file and going to "Compatibility" -- run it under an earlier version in compatibility mode.

June 3rd, 2017 14:00

@ejn63: I created a bootable device as posted above. I ran the update, but it didnt went through what seems more a problem of the BIOS update file than the bootable drive

June 5th, 2017 01:00

@ejn63: the BIOS exe runs under win10... it reads the ROM, then restarts, but doesnt apply the changes and just simply restarts. Still having the old BIOS. I searched the windows event logging, but doesnt receive an error

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 5th, 2017 07:00

See above.  It's likely the BIOS updater won't run under Windows 10.  You will need to prepare boot media for Windows 7 or 8 in order to apply the update.

No Events found!