Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2012 18:00

17R webcam not working, no drivers

Hello,

I am not sure how this happened but I have lost the drivers for the webcam on my Inspiron 17 (N7010) laptop. I have the Dell Webcam Central but it says there is no supported device. Under my 'imaging' drivers I do not have any driver for an integrated webcam.

I can't seem to find the right driver for my operating system and computer on the Dell website. I know that the drivers for windows 7 are 'native'...what does this mean and if you have lost a driver how to you find it if it is supposed to be 'native'? Does this mean I need to reinstall my operating system?

Any help would be much appreciated.

3.8K Posts

July 5th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If the integrated webcam is not getting detected under device manager, then try running a diagnostics on the webcam. Use Rick's link on how to run diagnostics.

en.community.dell.com/.../3557.webcam-diagnostics.aspx

Post back with results.

Thank you.

July 5th, 2012 21:00

kalloyd,

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

3 Posts

July 6th, 2012 17:00

Royan S - Looks like it passed the diagnostic so it is not a hardware issue. I assumed it wasn't because the webcam used to work fine. Any suggestions where to go from here?

PudgyOne- I have no recently reinstalled the operating system. I have gone through all of that 'Troubleshootign Webcam' information and feel like I am going in circles. Any suggestions where to go from here?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 6th, 2012 18:00

kalloyd,

• Please read and answer the questions that I asked, below.

•  

Any error messages?

Rick

3 Posts

July 8th, 2012 10:00

PudgyOne - The webcam does show up in the symptom tree with no error messages. I assume that means it is not a hardware issue but a software issue. The computer is not under warranty.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 8th, 2012 12:00

kalloyd,

Start, control panel, user accounts. Create a new unrestricted user account.

Try the webcam and see if it works.

Log out of the new unrestricted user account and log back in to your account.

What happens?

Rick

7 Posts

October 5th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the link to this awesome article. Very well done! It seems that this Webcam issue is common and is in need of a solution.

The article you linked is one of the best I've seen on troubleshooting. Step by step with screenshots and clear steps makes this article useful and educational as to how to run diagnostics in general for this and other issues. For a newbie it shows just how deep you need to go so they can try it or bail. For the more experienced computer user it shows a simple path to a possible solution. Thanks for putting in the time to create it.

I had the same problem on a client computer and didn't have the time to figure it out. Re-imaged with the Dell factory image and the Webcam is working as normal. I'm going to image this working configuration and see if something corrupts the webcam functionality. With an image I can hopefully go back to a working operating system quickly.

I'll update when I can

Mike

Country Computer Guy

Serving East Central Minnesota since 2003

Right Clickin' since 1998

Dell Inspiron N7010 (laptop)

Win7 Home Pre SP1

Dell System Recovery (Factory Image restoration)

Dell Webcam Central v1.40.05, (Dell_SX2210-Monitor_Webcam SW RC1.1_ R230103.exe)

Integrated Webcam Driver 6.1.17600.16543 6-21-06 (Microsoft)

Windows Updates as of 10/4/12;

KB915597 (Def 1.137.876.0)

KB2621440

KB2533552

KB976902

Windows Update agent 7.6.7600.256

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 7th, 2012 14:00

Mike,

PLEASE READ AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED, BELOW.

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Any error messages?

Rick

No Events found!