Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 30th, 2016 22:00

2 Color Profiles or Hardware Problem?

I have a XPS 15 (L502X). It has1920 x 1080 screen, and GeForce 504M nVidia graphics card.

The screen seems to randomly change. At times it has vastly oversaturated color. At other times it has very washed out color. I calibrated the color before I left on a 3 month overseas trip. It did not fix the problem.

Are there 2 different  color profiles that are used at different times? If so, how do I determine? Or is this indicative of a hardware failure? I had thought it was a hardware failure, but I ordered and installed a replacement screen and the problem seemed to persist.

There is an Intel HD Graphics 3000 (motherboard I presume) with driver 9.17.10.4229.

There is an nVidia GeForce GT 540M with driver 9.18.13.3165.

Device manager shows no problem with either. When I select to update the drivers I receive the message "The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

I need to edit some photos but the color is too bad. However since the problem was not fixed when I calibrated the color, I'm not sure if that will solve the problem since when I calibrated several months ago the situation did not improve.

What can I do to figure out a way to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

Dale

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 31st, 2016 17:00

If possible connect to an external monitor and then test, looking at the laptop LCD panel and the external monitor side by side to possibly give you  clue if the problem lies with the video card and driver or just the LCD panel.  If the External monitor colors look great then you know the driver and GPU is not the cause, this is a problem with the LCD panel.  If both the external monitor and LCD panel displays the same poor color then it is something likely to do with the GPUs. 

Either case I do suggest that you have the AC adapter connected to the notebook, Windows power plan set to "high performance"

I suggest going into Nvidia control panel under 3D settings and change the Nvidia Optimus to "high performance" globally

While you are in the Nvidia Control panel check under "Display" for "Adjust Desktop color settings" and see if you are able to correct the color issues now.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

No Events found!