Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2015 20:00

2 different scanners are no longer communicating with laptop, deeper problem?

Hi, Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm on a Dell XPS L702X laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit.

All of a sudden my 2 scanners can no longer connect to my laptop.  The only recent software update I've downloaded is an AVG update.

When one of the scanners wasn't connecting about 2 weeks ago, I ran a Microsoft Fix It (called "Hardware devices are not working or not detected in Windows"), and I thought that fixed the problem, as I was able to scan right after the Fix It.  I was able to scan as recently as 5 days ago.

But as of today, 2 scanners can no longer connect, and there must be a deeper problem, right?

Scanner 1 is a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 that connects via a USB cable (no wifi function).  The ScanSnap Manager message states: 

"Failed to communicate with the ScanSnap. (0x00000000)

Disconnect the cable then connect it again.  If the problem persists, contact your FUJITSU scanner dealer or an authorized FUJITSU scanner service provider."

Scanner 2 is a multi-function Brother printer, MFC-7860DW.  It usually connects either wirelessly or via USB.  I tried both.  The ControlCenter4 error message is:

"MFC=7860DW LAN cannot be found.
-If the device is OFF, turn ON the device.
-Check the I/F cable connection between the device and your computer.
-If the scanner is working with another application, cancel scanning or wait until the scan job finishes and try again.

(CC4-202-00000008)"

Needless to say, I have tried reconnecting the USB cables and restarting my computer.  No luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

12 Posts

November 21st, 2015 10:00

I wanted to be clearer about the problem.  Both scanners are detected via USB, and some kind of initial handshake occurs, but neither scanner can fully communicate with the laptop.  

For example, when I push scan on the Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner (connected via USB), I can see that there is an initial handshake.  ScanSnap is successfully initiated on the laptop, and the ScanSnap window pops up as if the scanner connection is working, but right away, a separate error window pops up that says "Failed to communicate with the ScanSnap. (0x00000000)" etc.  

Sorry if I'm misusing these terms.  Some kind of initial handshake is occurring.  But then the connection is unable to complete.

Thank you.

105 Posts

November 21st, 2015 12:00

Verify usb ports on the pc and printer aren't the issue via:

• connect a device to your pc via USB and use it for a few minutes... if no issues occur, good.
  • connect the printer to a different PC to verify if the same issues are experienced on the second PC.  If so, there's an issue with the usb ports on the printer... if not, good.

Beyond uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling the print drivers, I am of no further help =]

• Except, update the printer's firmware.  If no update exists, reflash the same version that's currently installed.

12 Posts

November 21st, 2015 14:00

Hi JW0914,

Thank you.  The USB ports are working with my mouse, iPod, and iPhone.

I have not been able to test the Fujitsu or Brother scanners on another computer.

I have uninstalled AVG and installed Avira in its place.  I was disappointed to see that the scanners are still not working.

I posted this question to the BleepingComputer forum, and I was advised to run sfc /scannow from the Administrator Command Prompt, which I've just completed.  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the Fujitsu ScanSnap software, which I believe includes both the ScanSnap manager and its drivers.  I've tried to reinstall by inserting the CD-ROM, but oddly, the CD-ROM doesn't seem to be recognized, and the laptop ejects the CD after some idle spinning.  That is a first and totally unexpected.  I then tried to reinstall by downloading the software from Fujitsu (http://www.fujitsu.c...00w-setup.html).  The setup.exe seems to work, but at the end of the install, ScanSnap Manager is not installed, even after restarting.  There is no error message - the install seems to have never happened.

Am I in for a Windows 7 reinstall?

12 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 01:00

Hi JW,

A friend of mine just Googled up a solution for the Brother scanner, which worked for me.

answers.microsoft.com/.../6348aacc-119f-4842-8c11-04cfe550acf3

I had uninstalled the Fujitsu software, thinking I could reinstall the software and driver, and I'm having trouble re-installing it, so I'm going to try that again before resorting to other measures like reinstalling Win 7.

I was shocked to see this simple solution worked for the Brother!

Thank you so much for trying to help!

12 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 12:00

Thanks to the help of the Bleeping Computer forum and a friend's tireless Googling, my scanners appear to be working again. I had a Brother problem and a Fujitsu problem in the same week.  Murphy's Law, I guess.

The Brother solution: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-hardware/getting-error-message-the-mfc-7860dw-lan-cannot-be/6348aacc-119f-4842-8c11-04cfe550acf3?auth=1

The Fujitsu solution: I had to use the Microsoft Fix It uninstaller to completely uninstall the Fujitsu software/drivers before I could reinstall it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall 

No Events found!