Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2014 14:00

2000-0332 Video memory integrity test discrepancy on M17x-R4

(continuation from here)

I've seen this error in other posts, but the answer never seems to go all the way through. My Alienware m17x R4 only boots up once every many, many tries and, when it does, the screen is full of artifacts and Windows wont start up, although Safe Mode does. When I run an ePSA diagnostic it gives me two errors: 2000-0142 (hard drive) and 2000-0332 (video card).

The one with the hard drive I'm assuming is not very critical (I've been moving files after that error with no problems), but the second one points to faulty video memory as the error says: "Video memory integrity test discrepancy". The solution given is to update the BIOS, but when you have an error 2000-0332, you cannot start up Windows, meaning you cannot update the BIOS anyway.

I have an extra problem here. All these errors started when I disabled the integrated graphics card through a Fn+F7, but then I never could revert it back because I could never start up Windows again. Right now, the BIOS says that the integrated card is "Not Detected".

My last attempt will be to reinstall Windows (I'm doing it as I write), try to restore the integrated card to see if the screen tearing disappears and then I'll try to update the BIOS and go through the Diagnostics again.

In any case, chances are that the discrete video card is broken and I will have to change it. So my question is, how are the discrete graphics cards from Dell's laptops replaced? What is the official course of action in these situations? (I'm from Spain, in case that changes anything)

June 6th, 2014 09:00

UPDATE: Managed to finally install Windows again and press Fn+F7 to enable the integrated graphics card again. I have installed all the drivers, updated the two graphics drivers (integrated and discrete) to the last version and updated the BIOS to the last version. Every time I try to use the discrete graphics card (by launching a game, by changing the performance/energy settings) Windows goes bananas. Sometimes it freezes, other times its a blue screen, it may not start up afterwards, et cetera. However, the ePSA Diagnostics says graphics are OK. I assume it is because it is testing the integrated one and not the discrete one this time.

Anyways, contacted Dell and they are sending someone for the laptop on Monday-Tuesday and in seven days it should be back (it's under a legal warranty, not a commercial one). So far, I'm happy with Dell Support. I only have one extra question. When they bring the laptop back with everything solved in theory, I should be able to use Fn+F7 with no problem, right? I have never used it before and I'm unsure if it is inherently unstable or should work flawlessly.

No Events found!