Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2016 13:00

2nd Monitor for Dell Inspiron 17 5000 laptop.

Can I hook up a 2nd monitor to my wife's laptop (Inspiron 17 5000 laptop, Windows 10, purchased Dec, 2015) -- without buying anything extra (video, graphic cards, etc), except, of course, the 2nd monitor.

I want both screens to be active (i.e. not replace the screen on the laptop.

Just checking to see if I can do this natively, without having to make any changes to my/her laptop.  Windows 10 natively will support two screens won't it?

And how would I connect - HDMI, USB, etc..

ron in round rock

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2016 14:00

If you mean to add one external screen, it is no problem - HDMI is probably the best connector to use.

If you mean to add TWO external screens, that may be an issue depending on whether your system has Intel or hybrid video.

21 Posts

June 1st, 2016 23:00

EJN-

Nope, just one additional, external screen (don't need 3 screens).

My wife just wants to have some genealogy stuff displayed on one screen while she works on the other.

The Windows 10 dual screen/monitor stuff works fine on my Dell desktop (with 2 monitors), so I assume that it would work the same on her Dell laptop with Windows 10.

I was just concerned that the right display support hardware (for 2 screens) was standard in the Dell laptop and I didn't want to have the external screen be a replacement for the laptop screen (which I kind of remember it working somewhat in that way, way back in the old days).

Thanks a lot for the help and confirmation.  I will let her borrow one of my monitors to try it out.

ron in round rock

No Events found!