Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 9th, 2016 13:00

3147 Boot / Startup issue

Going crazy with this issue!!!  Recent dell update caused a system crash.  Had to reinstall Windows from purchase (8.1), and then upgrade again to Windows 10.  After the update back to 10, I would have occassiona problems with startup.  Now, i'm dead in the water. I can get past the POST, but then it just goes black.

Have re-flashed BIOS A10....no effect

Tried the recovery pages from Dell using my laptop ID....no dice

Have tried to force a boot from USB, legacy mode, secure boot off, etc....no effect.  Windows picture comes up, then screen goes black  (this one from Dell site)

Have tried to boot from an SD card....no effect

Have tried to load Windows 10 via USB Microsoft instead of Dell.....no changes.

Is my Hard Drive shot?  Desperate for some help here.  Of course the machine is just over a year old, so I only keep getting told how to pay for more coverage on my warranty, rather than help to get windows running again.

HELP!!!

6 Posts

Also, have run the diagnostics several times, and have never received any error messages....for what it is worth.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You may want  to extend that warranty - it sounds like you have a bad mainboard.

6 Posts

would that not show up in the diagnostic tests?

6 Posts

December 9th, 2016 15:00

screen and monitor are fine......will try to figure out a way to confirm MBR issues or not

Thanks.

Any other thoughts out there, let me know.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 9th, 2016 15:00

Not necessarily, no.  You might want to try connecting an external monitor -- if it shows OK when the screen goes black, it could be a screen fault.  If not, it's likely a bad mainboard.

6 Posts

December 9th, 2016 22:00

found a few posts that indicate that it is related to the touchpad driver and Win 10 1511 update, but I can't boot to get to a point to confirm this.    How can I boot past the POST and black screen???

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 10th, 2016 03:00

Boot into  safe mode.  If you can get in there, remove the suspect driver.

If you cannot, and you've already run an extended drive diagnostic with no errors, you have a bad mainboard.

www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

No Events found!