Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2013 10:00

7 beeps of Death

My daughters computer is just over a year old.  It was very expensive but she wanted a DELL, had to have a DELL. Anyway, she properly shut it down one night and the next morning all I heard was the beeps. I looked it up and saw the beeps of death comment. When I called dell support, I was told they could transfer me and would charge me for tech support since it was out of warranty. I was able to figure out what was wrong quickly. Don't need tech support to charge me for what I can look up. What I would like to know is if Dell will honor a commitment since I have found that this particular model has had this problem along with the m5010.  What I would like help with is whether it is the processor or the motherboard and will they replace it even though it is out of warranty?

Please respond

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

April 30th, 2013 10:00

Hi glenkatie,

I am sorry for the inconvenience; The 7 beep code indicates that there is a processor/motherboard failure. Try releasing the static power and check the system is working. Follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess static power. In case the problem persists please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat. So that I can help you further.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2013 19:00

I have the same problem. Is there anything that can be done out of warrenty since this is a known issue and not a cheap fix?

October 30th, 2013 23:00

Hi jen80rn,

Please follow the steps mentioned by DELL-Senthil S. Also let me know the system model.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2013 13:00

M5030

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 16:00

Completed the steps above and the computer worked for less than 24hrs. This computer is less than 2 yrs old, and this is a KNOWN issue with these laptops. I am highly disappointed in Dell.

November 5th, 2013 01:00

HI jen80rn,

I understand your situation here. Please private message me your service tag and other details mentioned to assist you further.To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2013 13:00

Sent pm with NO response. 

14 Posts

November 8th, 2013 06:00

I have the unfortunate situation of owning a Dell Inspiron M5010 Laptop. Only 2 and a half years old. $1000 computer.

It will not boot up and gives the 7 Beep error. I had it checked by BB where I bought it
and they changed the coin memory Battery , Ram and ports check out OK. Cost $60
BB advise the Mother board is defective. I spent the better part of 2 hours on the
phone directly with Dell Customer Service and their out of Warranty Tech Support departments.
They were unwilling to give any Support or any sort of discount on having the Mother Board replaced. They wanted $300 to replace the Mother Board and $50 shipping each way.
What idiot would pay $400 to replace a mother board on a 2 year old computer.
I can buy a new one for that. I believe a new mother board is about $150 to $200 + shipping.
Customer Service would not even give a discount on shipping me a new mother board, when Dell fully knows that their Mother Boards are DEFECTIVE.
Look up Dell 7 Beep error on internet and on the Dell website for all the other people out there that have the same problem with this exact computer and other Dell models.
Everyone is complaining about the same problem, Dell have threatened to remove all my posts.
This is the second Dell laptop in 6 years to quit working.
I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER DELL COMPUTER

1 Message

May 22nd, 2017 17:00

I have a Dell  3000 series not 2 years old yet.  And it's doing the 7 beeps of deaf.  This is ridiculous to spend money like you do on a computer and tgey don't last but a year and a half.  I have a Toshiba that is 12 yrs old laptop and still runs just slow.  I have so many pics that mean everything to me on this computer both my boys wedding pics and my own wedding pics.  I will never buy another Dell after reading all the problems everyone else has.  I tried doing what someone said about removing static did not work..

No Events found!