Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2017 22:00

9360: 4K monitor flickers w/ graphics load and internal display active

I have a 9360 with the 3200x1800 touch screen and 16 GB of RAM.

When I connect an external 4K monitor and also use the internal laptop monitor, the external monitor flickers on and off every few seconds whenever the laptop is doing something graphically intensive (just zooming in and out of google maps is sufficient to trigger it, but lots of other things can too).

So far, I have tried two different 4K monitors, two different 9360 laptops, two different docks, connected directly to the laptop w/o the dock, a bunch of cables, and different intel graphics driver versions.  Currently running the Dell driver (21.20.16.4664) but they all have the same problem.

I can avoid the flickering if I disable the internal laptop screen when using the external screen - but that's not exactly optimal -  I'd love to be able to run both simultaneously.  I can also avoid it if I use a lower resolution monitor, but, according to the specifications, this laptop should be able to run 2 4K external monitors at 60 Hz simultaneously, and here it is choking on one + the internal display which isn't even 4K!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 7th, 2017 19:00

Thank you for your message.

Are you using a USB C to display port adapter?

Try the below method & check if that works.

Flash bios by downloading it from this link http://dell.to/2vHVCNL

Open device manager- expand graphic adapter & click on uninstall (check the option that says delete the driver, do not restart the computer.

Install the driver in this order

Chipset driver from this link http://dell.to/2uvIHxg 

Thunderbolt firmware http://dell.to/2ukgGub

Graphic driver dell.to/2vJrceO  

Restart the computer once the drivers are updated & complete all Windows updates.

August 7th, 2017 21:00

I've been using both a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter as well as the TB16 dock.  I've been through the driver reinstall *** to no avail. I can try the latest BIOS, but nothing in the changelog seems to indicate it would fix this issue.  My opinion is it is probably and Intel driver issue, as I could not get the display to flicker when using Linux.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 8th, 2017 23:00

You can try the bios flash followed by the driver reset once again (after bios flash).

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

August 9th, 2017 19:00

Tried. Didn't work. I've given up. Will be returning

2 Posts

August 19th, 2017 12:00

mongoosesrawesome -/ DELL - I've been wrestling with this exact problem now since my purchase in May.  I'm on my third replacement laptop and this one has not gotten rid of the problem.  On my 2nd replacement, they replaced the fan, motherboard and wireless card and it still did not work.  I'm looking for a full refund as well for this problem.  I think I gave them plenty of chances to fix this and nothing.  I've now been waiting 6 weeks since my last communications with DELL support because they said it was a complex problem.  They better now say it is too late to return this LEMON!

27 Posts

December 16th, 2017 14:00

I've had this exact issue forever. There's no solution. I've had my motherboard replaced three times and they're sending out another tech next week probably to do it again.

No Events found!