Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2011 06:00

A Rant, and then a seek for help... Dell Mini 10 (Redux)

Background:

I buy a used Dell Mini 10. I'm figuring I can use it for the basics when on the road, rather than drag around my larger laptop, etc. It's gotten decent reviews, blah, blah, blah. I get it home, the person I got it from has wiped the drive and loaded XP on it using the attached genuine sticker. XP SP1. Ugh. Do some updates (i.e., SP2, SP3, 200+ updates, etc.). I unplug the wired connection, and the wireless comes up, goes away, comes back, then goes away, ad infinitum.

I've been using PCs since the Amiga. Used a ton of Dells in the USAF when I was in. Now I do computer security for a company that buys Dell stuff, and we are a partner to Dell in the thing that we do (logistics). I know privacy and security stuff - really well. SARBOX, HIPPA, CISP/PCI, yadda yadda yadda.I generally build my own game machines (I can build better than Alienware, for half the price!).  My home is wired - I have a media server that feeds my whole house audio and video distribution system from a 10TB NAS.  Admittedly, I'm a geek.  And I'm good at it.  I'm the guy that people in my family and neighborhood and other forums I'm on come to for PC help.

< Rant >

So, I bought this from a guy on Craigslist. I go to the Dell website to check for updated drivers, plug in the Service Tag, and get told that it's invalid. Hrm. Chat! Plug in service tag - not a US Service tag... Well, I am in Maine, maybe the guy I bought from was a Canadian. Go to Canada chat, plug in service tag. That says that it's a US service tag. How does that work?? Alighty then. Let's call customer service. Get a guy on the phone, he tells me that I need name, phone number, something from the original order or owner so that he can assign over the service tag to me. I don't have this info. I shouldn't need this info.

Do I understand that (in theory) that it could be stolen PC? Sure. If that's the case, then tell me, so I can take the thing to the police and maybe get it back to the rightful owner. But here's the thing... I can buy a log splitter, chain saw, snow blower, printer, without those things. I can get service on those items without the original owner's info. All I want is to know what's in the stupid laptop for a wireless card so I can download the proper driver!

< / Rant >

So. Here's where I am... I have a Dell Mini 10 - is it a 1010, 1012, etc.? I have a service tag - if anyone has an idea as to how to get this sorted out so I can look the thing up, I'm more than happy to listen! The model listed is PP19S, but from what I can tell, that doesn't narrow it down any further than a Mini 10. So do I have to try all 6 wireless card downloads to find the one that doesn't continuously drop in and out while I'm sitting 3 feet away from the router? I see others are stating in this forum to try setting to 11, or 6, or download a Vista driver, or all sorts of other crazy things... But I want something definitive. It appears that it's a "Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card" and the Service in the Properties says that it's a Broadcom 43XX which seems to match up... But why does this thing drop in and out all the time? Is wireless card really that worthless? Can anyone give me a real bit of help? Either on resolving the Service Tag issue or this wireless card?

Many thanks in advance!

Ooops! Quick follow-up:

PudgyOne, I got your response to my post in e-mail (at least the mods can't delete that!) - thanks for the attempt.  Regarding the "transfer" page, there's no need to transfer it, as it had never been registered.  I registered it.  It's still not available to me.  Though, that said, maybe it's ME that's listed as the owner...  Wouldn't that be funny??  Now I have to go try. LOL!  The Dell warranty status tells me nothing, except that the service tag can't be found.  The antenna diversity to Aux didn't work.  All awesome attempts - thanks.  Any other suggestions?

And a forum complaint:

Redux rant...  Because I had used a number of terms that they can say on prime time broadcast TV (you know, the broadcasts that the FCC finds acceptable for kids), a mod saw fit to delete the thread.  This, IMO, is a bit heavy handed, considering that there were a total of 5 edits that I made.  Here's what I got from the mod:

Your post contains language that we believe to be harassing, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable. Use of such language violates the Terms of Service, and must be deleted in order to allow your post. Prohibited words and phrases include those in which certain letters have been replaced with alternate characters.

I didn't have any words that I replaced characters in.  I didn't blaspheme anyone's god.  I didn't harass anyone (except point out the uselessness of a policy, which I still am in this redux post).  I didn't have a wardrobe malfunction.  I don't see what could have been objectionable.  I'm happy to provide the words I've edited to someone if they can tell me if those terms would be found objectionable.

934 Posts

September 8th, 2011 07:00

You seem to have the same wireless adapter as I have on my Inspiron 1545

Just a suggestion :

Follow the link below,create a bootable USBstick AND choose "xUPD" (a tiny Linux distribution) from the dropdown list

during installation.You could also choose LinuxMint10 etc BUT this version ALREADY contains the wireless adapter drivers for my inspiron (Broadcom/Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card)

and works perfectly....

If you are lucky enough you can test your system within a couple of minutes with a second operating system.

www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator

No Events found!