Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2009 12:00

A Series of Confusing Events - Inspiron 5100

I've looked quite hard since this happened yesterday, but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer anywhere. To me it seems very bizarre and I'm hoping that someone with more intimacy of the Inspiron 5100's hardware will be able to discern what's wrong.

Yesterday morning I picked up my laptop, which had been out of use since the prior evening, and immediately noticed there was something wet on the lefthand corner near the track pad. I opened it up to see a clear fluid around the left clip on the monitor portion of the 5100. The fluid had spread around the frame of the monitor and onto the handrest beside the trackpad. The fluid was slightly viscous and room temperature. I looked on the back of the monitor to find that, where the blue plastic meets silver on the left hand side, more of this fluid was present. Some of it had dried to a metallic green.

The laptop turned on just fine and showed absolutely no signs of injury in its preformance. I reformatted it a couple months ago and it's been going like a champ since then. I had to put the laptop aside to go to class so I shut it off and left it. I came back later and thoroughly studied the case again. There was no further leaking. (Since the initial leak, there has been no additional leakage as of yet.) I turned my laptop on and found that it was unable to read the HD. After about half an hour of restarts, it finally made contact with the HD and booted up. I got it up long enough to back up the important files I keep on there. Shortly after I got a blue screen. It subsequently went into a cycle of rebooting and blue screening over and over until I was able to intervene and have it boot to safe mode. It did not blue screen in safe mode. It behaved for the next couple hours I used it, then I put it away for the evening.

Today, I turned it back on to use it and was rewarded with another blue screen about ten minutes into usage.

A quick list of pre-emptive answers that I can think of:

• Yes, I am absolutely positive the fluid came from the laptop.
  • There have been no new drivers or hardware recently added.
  • There have been no events of trauma to the laptop for years.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any input given on this particular problem. I'd also like to know that, if the problem is able to be diagnosed, what exactly I would be looking at replacing or otherwise doing to fix the problem. Thanks in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

About the only fluids inside the system are the electrolyte in the battery (usually a polyvinyl alcohol based electrolyte) and sometimes a heat transfer fluid in the heatsink.  Both are conductive - so if they hit the mainboard or inverter, they'll  short something out - get them cleaned up and see where the fluid came from (look inside at the heatsink and check the battery).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Any sign of burst capacitors?

4 Posts

I checked both today. No fluids in either one. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

59 Posts

July 8th, 2009 13:00

Are  you sure someone unknown  to you did not have not have access to the computer? The matter described resemble spillage. if the fluid is sticky and gooey this is a stage of congealing. Metallic green could suggest printer ink or acidic soda. The location of the spill on the monitor and the handrest suggest the laptop was open. If it was upside down the would be trace on the bottom. You did not mention if you remove the battery and check for damage. If the trackpad area and monitor area do not match you should consider a spillage. Use monitor wipe to swab or denatured alcohol on lint free cloth to clean. Unplug the computer and remove the battery. Sometimes tthis procedure resets the computer.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2009 15:00

ejn - All I know is, I haven't seen any physical damage to the interior of the computer that I've had access to. I'm not sure what a burst capacitor would be or where it would occur.

Talebearer - I live alone. No one had access to the laptop and it was not in a place where anything would drip onto it. Like I said, the battery was dry and it certainly is not the cuplrit here.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2009 09:00

Bump

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2009 10:00

Whatever it was, start with the Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup - particularly the extended hard drive test.

No Events found!