Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2017 20:00

AC ADAPTER

Hi everyone, the problem or dobut is the next... I have a Dell Inspiron 14' 5000 Series model 5447, my AC adapter has been broken for my dog, and I'am trying to purchse a new one, since in my country (Chile) doesn't exist a proper importer for Dell pieces or stuff like that, only a bad customer service, I have benn looking for an alternative AC adapter, but it's very difficult to find the right one, the custion is, does a higher value on the Watts of the new adapter harm my coputer, the battery of this computer is 43 Wh but in the AC adapter does not appear any of that

My AC adapter has this specifications

PA-12 Family / AP-1650-02D2 / MODEL: LA65NS2-01 / INPUT 100-250V 1.6A 50-60Hz / OUTPUT 19.5V 3.34A

But I can only find a similar adapter to purchase with this specitications 

INPUT 100-200V 1.5A 50-60Hz / OUTPUT 19.5V 3.34A

Thanks In advance

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2017 05:00

Bear in mind that you MUST use an OEM Dell adapter -- third party adapters will power the system but WILL NOT charge the battery.  There is no harm in using a Dell adapter with a higher power output - 90W place of 65, etc. The system will draw only as much power as it needs.

6 Posts

September 7th, 2017 19:00

the fact is that buy the OEM one it's not possible for me, not because I don want it, it's because I can't find where to buy it

The other thing is how much important is the imput in AMPS, I have readed that it's important to have the same value on Amps or higher but not lower, but no one says if this matters in th input or the output

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 7th, 2017 20:00

The OUTPUT voltage and amperage are important; the input doesn't matter since the laptop never "sees" that, and that will vary based on the efficiency of the AC adapter.  The voltage needs to be EXACTLY correct, but the amperage must be at least as much as your OEM adapter, although it CAN be higher.  For amperage, if the laptop can use the additional available amperage to charge its battery faster, it will -- and some laptops actually can charge faster if you connect higher amperage AC adapters than they shipped with.  If the laptop cannot use the additional amperage, then it won't.  But higher available amperage won't harm the system because the system controls how much amperage is drawn.  It would NOT control voltage, however, which is why that has to be an exact match.

All that said, if you use a non-OEM adapter, it's possible that your laptop will not accept it, even if it delivers the correct voltage and amperage.  I would strongly consider trying to find an OEM adapter, even if it means buying used from a website and paying international shipping.

6 Posts

So, in resume, I can have 0.1 lower amperage in the input, and there will not be so much trouble with that?, cool, and yes I know that my laptop might not accept the new ac adapter, thank you for your time!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

The input refers to what the AC adapter is drawing from the wall.  The system never sees that, so the only issue you have to be concerned with on the input side is whether the voltage and frequency ratings are appropriate for Chile's electrical standards.  For example, standard electrical outlets in the US use 120 volts and 60 Hz, whereas much of Europe uses 240 volts and 50 Hz.  Many AC adapters have input ratings of 120-240 volts and 50-60 Hz, meaning they are compatible with both types of electrical systems.

It's unfortunate that your system does not have a USB-C port that supports charging, because that is now an industry standard, and you definitely would NOT have needed a specific OEM adapter in that case.  Instead, you would just have needed a USB-C charger that provided high enough wattage for your system's requirements.  Obviously that doesn't help you right now, but whenever you get your next laptop, it might be worth making sure that it supports USB-C charging in order to avoid this issue next time. Good luck!

489 Posts

September 8th, 2017 03:00

>  yes I know that my laptop might not accept the new ac adapter

Dell AC chargers have a third data pin so that they can identify their power (current). If this is not present, the laptop doesn't know how much power (current) it can draw, and it will not use the power even if it is available.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2017 20:00

The AC adapter on my Latitude D 610 went bad & I found a new one thru www.newegg.com for $14.99 shipped. The adapter I received is from T-Power. My battery had only 10% charge left & when I plugged in the T-Power the battery was 100% charged in 45 minutes. It even came with a little end sizing chart, so you'll know exactly what sized end of charger to order.

No Events found!