Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2017 18:00

AC power drops out when GPU in use

Hi there. I've got an Alienware 15 R2 that has had multiple warranty calls in the past 6 months. Late last year I had to mail it in for repair as the AC adapter seems to stop working intermittently (for a few seconds) whenever the graphics card is in use for games. It flickers back and forth and slowly drains the battery and changes between battery and main power profiles.

I mailed in my laptop (was 2 weeks out of warranty period) and had it "repaired". Now the same issue has returned after only 3 weeks use. Support team believed it was just a faulty AC adapter, but I've tried it with an alternate one before I first sent it in. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Any hope in fixing it? Or should I try and get a refund or replacement... This would be the 6th fault since I bought the device.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 30th, 2017 12:00

:emotion-2:

olliec3rd wrote: " as the AC adapter seems to stop working intermittently (for a few seconds) whenever the graphics card is in use for games'.

I'd suggest you enter the service tag number (Or run Detect Product) onto link below.

www.dell.com/.../

After you enter service tag number, I suggest you update the Chipset and Video drivers in correct (Installation) order). Please click on link below:

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 31st, 2017 04:00

I'd suggest you click on link below and post same question in Alienware forum for further assistance.

Alienware Club - Dell Community

No Events found!