Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2013 10:00

AMD Graphics Card not getting detected

Hi All,

My Laptop model is: Dell Inspiron 15R. It has Intel HD 4000 and AMD 7670M Graphic Card, but only Intel HD 4000 card is detected when I scan for configuration in www.canyourunit.com This means AMD graphic card will not be used during game play ? what should I do to make the AMD card  will be detected when we scan for configuration.

Thanks in advance

17 Posts

April 11th, 2013 11:00

When I open "Configure Switchable Graphics" it just shows "Creating and Arranging Desktops" and no other options.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Many utilities can't scan for switching graphics.  Does your Switching Graphics Control Panel not work?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Is Windows on the system installed by Dell, and if so, did you at any point update your video drivers?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 11th, 2013 12:00

It sounds like your AMD drivers weren't installed - try reinstalling those.

17 Posts

April 11th, 2013 12:00

Yes it is Windows 7. But I did re-installed Windows 7 with the DVD given by Dell.

I think I did an update for Video Drivers few months ago.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 11th, 2013 13:00

Generic Drivers for Intel HD 4000 and AMD 7670M  cannot be used.

CHIPSET Drivers are required first.

Chipset - Driver

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
Recommended 1.0.7.248 3/25/2013 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit
Realtek Card Reader Driver
This package provides the driver for the Realtek Card Reader RTS5179 and is supported on Precision 3xxx series and 5721 running on the following Windows Operating system: Windows 7 and Windows 8
Recommended 6.1.8400.39030 2/6/2013 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Intel Chipset Driver
This package provides the driver for Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family Mobile and is supported on Inspiron 5x21, 3x21 and Vostro 2521 running the following operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Recommended 9.3.0.1021 2/6/2013 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Intel Management Engine Interface Driver
This package provides the driver for Intel Management Engine Interface is supported on Inspiron 5x21, 3x21 and Vostro 2521 that are running following operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Recommended 8.1.0.1248 2/6/2013 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit

Then INTEL HD Drivers.

Video - Driver

Then Microsoft  DOT NET 4.0 profile

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Then the Radeon Drivers.

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
AMD Graphics Driver
This package provides AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics Driver and is supported on Inspiron 3x21 and 5x21 series and Vostro 2521 that are running following Windows Operating Systems: Windows 8.
Recommended 8.982.6.0 2/6/2013 Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Intel Graphics Driver
This package provides Intel HD 4000 Graphics Driver and is supported on Inspiron 3x21 and 5x21 series and Vostro 2521 running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Recommended 9.17.10.2867 2/6/2013 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows
AMD Graphics Driver
This package provides AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics Driver and is supported on Inspiron 3x21 and 5x21 and Vostro 2521 that are running following Windows Operating Systems: Windows 7.
Recommended 8.982.6.0 2/6/2013 Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Graphics Driver
This package provides AMD Radeon HD 8730M Graphics Driver and is supported on Inspiron 3x21 and 5x21 and Vostro 2521 running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Recommended 9.0.12.1 2/6/2013 Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
AMD Radeon HD 8730M
AMD Radeon HD 8730M
Recommended 9.0.12.0 12/20/2012 Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
Windows
Windows 8 64-bit

17 Posts

April 12th, 2013 11:00

But the drivers are installed and I can see it in Device Manager.

17 Posts

April 12th, 2013 12:00

Intel HD 4000 and AMD 7670M drivers are present. I reinstalled Catalyst Center again, now when i click on Switchable Graphics I see options for selecting the applications.

But in Catalyst Control Center under Games, I tried to define 3D settings for Battlefield 3 game and clicked on save button, but when I see in Application Profiles I see the game exe is defined under Intel HD 4000, I don't get this. why ??

Also how do we make sure that AMD graphic will be used for game ? I am asking this question because I tried to disable the Intel 4000 HD graphics in device manager, screen got modified to another resolution (which is expected) and I've adjusted to regular resolution, then I right clicked on desktop and I didn't see Switchable Graphics. I tried to open Catalyst Center which didn't work too. Is there any dependency between two graphics cards here ?

Can you throw some light on it ?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 12th, 2013 12:00

If both drivers are there, you should be able to use the catalyst/switching graphics control panel to choose which application uses the AMD GPU.

17 Posts

April 12th, 2013 13:00

Ok, then I will follow below steps:

1. Install Chipset Drivers -> Do I have to install all the items that are mentioned in the table by downloading them?

2. Install Intel HD drivers from Dell DVD

3. Install .NET 4 - from the link www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

4. Install AMD Radeon Drivers which is row 3 (my system is on Windows 7)

can you please clarify one question - in AMD radeon installation step in row 2 there is a package for Intel HD 4000 graphic card. Do I have install it again after step 2?

can you just tell whether the steps which I've listed are correct or wrong ? if wrong could you please help in correcting it ?

272 Posts

1) (Chipset Drivers) It wouldn't hurt to install them all and I believe SpeedStep included the links to the correct ones for your System in the table, so yes download them from the table as those should be the most current ones provided by Dell.

Order of Install -> Intel Chipset Driver Package for Intel (R) 7 Series Chipset should be installed 1st, Second would be the Intel ME Drivers, then USB last Realtek

2) (Intel HD Driver) No not from the DVD get the latest Intel HD Driver from the Dell Download Link in the other Table, which answers your question about row 2.

3) (.NET 4) Install MS .Net 4 from link provided

4) (AMD Driver) Install AMD Radeon Drivers (row 3)

Cheers

272 Posts

I would suggest that you install the drivers in the Exact order that SpeedStep has posted and has suggested as the Answer.

Though the drivers may be installed and you can see the devices in Device Manager, there is a specific order to which they must be installed in order for the Catalyst Control Center to work properly.

Once you have it working, the next thing to watch out for is Microsoft Automatic Update, keep an eye out if it ever tries to install Video Driver updates, use the Dell provided Drivers, hopefully Dell will be quicker in releasing their builds based on Intel's and AMD's reference drivers faster in the future instead of lagging behind for ages.

Cheers

1 Message

April 13th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

I have a Dell inspiron 5521 core i5 3337U laptop. I am using windows 7. I had the same problem. And even I was unable to install .NET framework also. But after seeing your advice I was able to install .NET framework only. But still there is problem with the AMD driver. When I try to install intel HD drivers, a message displays saying that "This computer does meet the minimum requirements for installing the software " When I submit my service tag, the intel HD drivers are not recommended for my laptop. What should I  do now?

17 Posts

April 15th, 2013 10:00

Hey Samsamg,

I have a similar configuration, I had the same issue which you are facing now, to avoid this go to intel web site and download the HD 4000 drivers, the error will not occur, I even spoke to Dell Tech Support they too suggested that if there is any problem with Dell support drivers then we can download the drivers directly from Intel web site and install them.

Also try to update the Bios Version, there is a software in Dell site with which you can update the bios version. Better update the bios version, install the HD 4000 drivers and then install AMD Drivers.

I hope that will solve your problem.

Thanks

17 Posts

April 19th, 2013 03:00

@CyberMaxX360,

After installing drivers that are downloaded from Intel Website as the I's not able to install Dell Intel Drivers as it was giving incompatibility error (even samsamg reported that below). Now I am able to add Battlefield 3 game to Switchable graphics card and clicked on Apply button.

I have two questions:

Question 1:

Now when I start the game it starts, but my question is how do I make sure that AMD graphics card is used during the game play ?? any utility to see which graphic card is in use for the game when it is in use ?

Question 2:

Whenever I restart the laptop, when I open Switchable Graphics window the applications which I have added are not present, I have add them again and set the performance levels to it again? did you have any idea about this kind of behavior, the settings are saved only for one session. I had a big fight with Dell Tech Support person, he asked me to format my system and do the fresh installation, I asked him what is the probability that it will work If I reinstall the OS and install the drivers again ? he said 95% of the cases are solved by this, and then I thought it is a big lie because most of the users are still facing the problem. I asked what about the 5% cases, he said it is due to Hardware Problem the issue is not solved. so what would you suggest for this settings problem ?

I don't want to consider UnifL option now I just want to confirm that there is no hardware problem. If there is any, then I want to get rid of it because of the warranty.

I've read many of your posts before posting this, I really Thank You for the support that you are giving to the users.

Thanks,

Sai

No Events found!