This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2013 08:00

AMD switchable graphics not working properly

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop:

- Core i3 3227U with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics

- AMD Radeon HD7670M discrete graphics

Problem is switchable graphics don't seem to be  switching to Radeon on some games. They seem to be working fine in Bioshock Infinite (Medium setting is playable) or Borderlands 2 (maxed out, decent FPS), but in games like Assassins Creed 4 I've been getting terrible FPS even on lowest possible graphics configurations, and I know, that my Radeon is capable of much more than that. Even Crysis 1, which should be running on highest details with good FPS is only playable at Medium details.

I have done everything the internet has suggested (updating drivers, beta drivers, configuring switchable graphics, uninstalling CCC, disabling Intel HD, etc.). I'm not a tech genius, but I know this stuff well enough, to know that some of my games (if not all, to be honest) are not running on my discrete graphics card, despite the fact, that they're set to Maximum performance in Catalyst.

I know people have been suffering from this, but I want to know if someone has resolved this issue, and/or if I have any chance of getting my laptop to work properly, after 3 months of looking for a solution.

It would actually be great, if I could just set my switchable graphics to fixed rather than dynamic and just use my Radeon, but I can't, because my BIOS doesn't give me the option to choose. I would also bother Dell's support if I was located in US, but since I'm not - I can't do that either. HELP!!! PLEASE?!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 18th, 2013 08:00

Check with the publisher of the games that don't work - some may not support switching graphics adapters or may require an update or upgrade to work.

You're trying to run some demanding games on very, very low-end hardware - that may be an issue as well.  This just is not a gaming system -- it can do reasonably well with multimedia  work, but it just is far too low-end for the games you're asking it to run - particularly given the weak CPU you have.

December 18th, 2013 09:00

I am aware of the fact, that I haven't bought a gaming laptop, but my concern is mostly based on the fact that I've vitnessed other people with older AND lower end systems running some of the same games with better detail levels and better FPS at the same time. Also I had even more serious problems with GPU drivers about a month ago, when absolutely nothing would run on Radeon GPU, which has left me rather paranoid about low frame rates. 

But the question remains - can I FIX my system to only use the GPU which I have selected (Radeon only, for example)? In forums I've read that HP laptops can be "taught" this feature, due to some driver updates, but can I do that with my Dell, because it would save me a lot of frustration.

But many thanks for the response EJN.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 18th, 2013 09:00

The answer is no - you can't.  The Intel GPU is  hardwired to the display;  the AMD GPU is simply a co-processor.  All video data passes through the Intel GPU on its way to the display panel (so you'll always see the Intel GPU as active).  The setup is completely software-controlled.

The i3 CPU is the rough equivalent of the older Celeron processors - it too likely plays a part in the lack of performance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 18th, 2013 10:00

They're likely about the same, if not identical in performance.

Okay then, last question and purely out of interest.

How does my CPU stack up against a lower end Sandy Bridge i3? Can't give you the exact model cause I don't know it, but if it's more powerful, then my question is answered.

Thought so...

Thank you!

No Events found!