Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

June 16th, 2016 17:00

AT&T Wireless Dropping

I think I have solved the problem. I need to get a new computer.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 16th, 2016 17:00

I may be able to help if you decide to keep the original computer.  Please reply with the model of notebook, the version of Windows and if you are using wireless or plugging in. If you are using wireless and you know it, please also include the model of the wireless card.

TB

3 Posts

June 16th, 2016 18:00

It is an inspiron laptop about 4 ears old, not sure the model. it was originally 8 but upgraded to 10. I have never had a problem with conventional routers but for some reason ATT systems lead to this endless dropping and reconnecting to the internet. It stays connected to the wireless. I can reconnect by running the troubleshooter which resets the adapter or by restarting the computer but it just drops the internet again sometime quickly and sometimes it takes 20 minutes.  I was at my daughter's where I have this problem. We had two iPhones and an iPad connected to this router with no issues. My daughter and her husband have phones and computers connected with no issues. I have also had this problem at Hampton Inns which have ATT systems..I brought the computer home today and it works fine on my home cable with linksys router. I called AT&T tech support about this but they have no clue.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 20th, 2016 12:00

If you are able to connect to non ATT networks then the hardware is good.  You may well have already done so but if not one thing to try the next time that your daughters is take a look at the wireless connections settings on their systems especially if they have a Win 10 system and just make sure that your notebook matches their settings.  Double-check in the security keys and see if you are using the same network encryption as they are. 

If you want to continue troubleshooting with just the notebook, when connecting to ATT, try to do so in safemode with networking, just hold the alt button down when clicking restart and then choose the option for safemode with networking.  Once in safemode, try to connect and see if the problem continues or not.  If the problem continues, then you will need to get back with ATT, if not, if all of a sudden the notebook stays connected with no problems then you likely have software of some form interfering with the connection. The next time the connection drops, open the task manager (press win key and x key and choose task manager) and see what is running in the background, end task unneeded applications and see if the connection becomes stable.

TB

No Events found!