Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2011 11:00

Activate WiFi without keyboard switch

Hi all,

I had a bad accident with spilling on my computer.  I have an Inspiron N7010.   Some of my keys still work but, unfortunately the switch to allow WiFi doesn't.  Is there any way to turn on WiFi without the keyboard?  I have hooked up a keyboard to my machine to use.  Also, does anyone know if the keyboard can actually be replaced or do I have to get a new computer!!!! 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 27th, 2011 13:00

jenkinsde27,

F2 to enter the bios. It can be a problem.

A new keyboard or an external keyboard will work.

Rick

12 Posts

I state that mine is an Inspiron N7010.  And, I am not well versed in the BIOS, but even if I did change that to 'NONE' my question is how to then turn on the wireless without the keyboard

4.4K Posts

It's fairly easy to change out the keyboard.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

623 Posts

Hi all,

I had a bad accident with spilling on my computer.  I have an Inspiron N7010.   Some of my keys still work but, unfortunately the switch to allow WiFi doesn't.  Is there any way to turn on WiFi without the keyboard?  I have hooked up a keyboard to my machine to use.  Also, does anyone know if the keyboard can actually be replaced or do I have to get a new computer!!!! 

Not sure about your specific notebook but some Dell notebooks have the option of setting the wireless hotkey to 'NONE' in the bios settings...

12 Posts

Thanks, any idea if I can actually buy a replacement?  I can't find it on the Dell website

4.4K Posts

December 26th, 2011 12:00

Thanks, any idea if I can actually buy a replacement?  I can't find it on the Dell website

You can find one here.
http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=8870

12 Posts

I'm very sorry, I had read the Welcome post and it said to put it in there

4.4K Posts

I just didn't want your posts to be deleted.

Did you see the link that I posted for a keyboard?

4.4K Posts

jenkinsde27,

Please edit your signature and remove your Service Tag Number.  It is a violation of the TOU that you agreed to .  If you don't, your posts may be deleted.

12 Posts

December 26th, 2011 21:00

Yes I did thank you very much --- my immediate problem is my other question though.  I really need to get online and can't do it because the WiFi key doesn't work --

4.4K Posts

December 26th, 2011 22:00

Either way may work.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jenkinsde27,

Sorry, no F keys there.

Start, control panel, windows mobility center. You can turn the wireless adapter on/off from there.

Rick

4.4K Posts

Let's make sure that the wifi adapter is enabled.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings

There you should see your wireless adapter.  Right click on it and enable it if it is not enabled.

Then right click on it and Connect.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jenkinsde27,

Start, in search type

osk

hit enter or click on the osk file. This will bring up the on screen keyboard.

Rick

623 Posts

December 27th, 2011 10:00

Thank you so much!!!  Wasn't even aware of this menu.  BUT, I clicked on the Launch for the Radio Control Operations and it didn't respond.  Also, the option to turn wireless on/off is greyed so I can't click on it.  Getting closer to a solution!!!  Any more steps I can try?  Still no networks available either

Did you not have the option avail in the BIOS to set the Wireless Hotkey to 'NONE'!?  You may have lost the WLAN card during the spill...

No Events found!