Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2012 07:00

Adding 2nd drive to 17R model 5720

I noticed that there are no connections for a second drive on this system yet there is a bay for a 2nd drive.  Is there a kit to be able to add a 2nd drive?

4 Posts

October 15th, 2012 14:00

Hi, just noticed the title that this thread started as a 5720 question. Sorry, my question about caddy and bracket was about 17R 7720 SE, which I believe has a caddy and SATA connection for the second HDD (the Dell technicians may be able to clarify this so that people may not be misguided).

October 16th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

The Inspiron 17R comes in two models 5720 and the 7720. The 7720 comes with 2 hard drive slots and 1 mSATA slot while the Inspiron 5720 comes with 1 hard drive slot and 1 mSATA slot. It also has a dummy hard drive slot but without any connectors. 

If you are looking to use the computer with 2 hard drives, 7720 is the right option. In 5720 you wont be able to add a second hard drive on the dummy slot; you will need use a caddy in place of the optical drive.

Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

October 18th, 2012 23:00

Hello,

On the 17r SE, can I put an SSD in the 2nd hard drive slot and use that as the cache drive for smart response technology intead of using the mSATA drive?

Also it was stated that the mSATA was not tested above 32gigabytes. Does this mean that it will never use more than 32 gigabytes when being used for SRT? Like if I get a 64gigabyte mSATA drive and use that for the cache drive, will it use the whole 64gigabyte or will half of it be wasted?

October 22nd, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Inspiron 17R SE does support mSATA drive for caching. However, it requires a separate mSATA drive. A SATA SSD in the secondary hard drive bay would not be used for caching.

To setup the Intel Smart Response Technology, please refer to the link below:

http://dell.to/T4WsLk

Dell has tested the systems with up to 32 GB SSD which is sufficient for supporting the Intel Smart Response Technology. However, the 64 GB drive might also work.

Let me know if you need more information or assistance. I will be glad to help.

November 7th, 2012 12:00

Hey Abhishek

I have inspiron 15r se with 1TB HDD.

I would like to add a mSATA card to my system to be able to use intel technologies.

Is it possible now?

I am skeptic because I have read online that systems which were not shipped with 32 GB mSATA card, doesnt have mSATA port for later installation.

Please clear this doubt and if possible post the pictures of the system and the daughter board where mSATA card can be installed.

Thanks in advance

November 7th, 2012 19:00

Hi Anshul,

You can add a mSATA card to your system to use the Intel Smart Response technology. However, you may need some technical assistance in installing the new mSATA card as it is a field replacable unit and in seated in a daughterboard placed in the LCD assembly, which you can access only after removing the motherboard.

You can check the daughterboard removal procedure from the manual mentioned in the link below

http://dell.to/T6dKoh

The mSATA card is placed in the daughter board. (check the picture below)

Once it is installed, you can configure the Intel Smart Response Technology on this system. Please refer to the following link if you need any help in configuring the intel technology.

http://dell.to/T4WsLk

November 8th, 2012 02:00

Hey abhishek

What you have answered is not my prime concern right now, installation comes later.

Right now, I want to make sure whether my system has mSATA port on the daughter board or not.

Below is the picture that I found on internet.

As you can see in the picture, the daughter board on this system doesnt have mSATA port!!!

In the bottom right corner of the picture is another daughter board which has the mSATA port.

So I just want to know whether my system has mSATA port or not :emotion-43:

If you need any further details of my system, feel free to ask.

November 8th, 2012 18:00

Hi Anshul,

Thank you for the reply.

The 15R SE/7250 generally have a mSATA connector on the daughter board which is present on the top right hand side of the LCD assembly. However, some of the systems does not have the daughterboard for the mSATA drive.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so that I an access your system configuration details and give you the right information.

13 Posts

December 11th, 2012 09:00

Dear Abhishek !

I have a Dell 5720 Laptop with the factory HDD drive 500GB (seagate)

My question : Can I  install  an mSATA drive  as  an INDEPENDENTLY drive  (main drive) or

there is only one possibility to install  a boot accelerator drive  (32-64 GB)

If yes , I am ready to buy a big mSATA ssd   128 GB or 256 GB !

I d like  my laptop not  ONLY accelerate but  let   get function  with  my whole  operating system  to achive

a  maximum  speed not  only when booting but  all the  time !

I have UBUNTU 12.04 LTS  as  OS . because I hate viruses !

Please help  me  giving me a piece of good advices  how to  install a msata SSD  as main drive !

Which  mSSD  recommend  DELL  for  my  system ?

I  can buy  ADATA 128GB SSD SX300 (ASX300S3-128GM-C)

or         256GB Crucial m4 mSATA 6Gb/s SSD

WHICH one  would be a  better  choice ?

Thanks  in advance

December 11th, 2012 23:00

Hi zimike,

The 5720 systems support the combination of mSATA Solid State Drives with a SATA Hard Drive which enable the use of several technologies found in Intel® Rapid Storage Technology:

• Intel® Smart Response Technology: This technology utilizes the speed advantage of SSD in caching where the frequently used information is stored on the SSD instead of the Hard drive.
  • Intel® Rapid Start Technology: This technology enables the system to boot back with-in seconds after getting into hibernation.
You wont be able to use the mSATA drive as a main drive on this system. If you want you can purchase an SSD hard drive and replace it with a SATA hard drive on your system.

December 12th, 2012 02:00

Hi zimike,

Upon performing further research, I found that it is possible theoretically to boot the system and install the OS on the mSATA drive. However, as the maximum mSATA drive tested by Dell on this system is 32 GB, the storage space might create a problem after installing the OS and application. You may try to installing a 64 GB or 128 GB mSATA. However, it has not been tested by the Dell Product group team.

You can boot the system and install the OS on the mSATA by following the steps below.

• Restart the system and tap on F2 to enter system setup
  • Under the Advanced tab look for SATA operations
  • Change the setting from IRST to AHCI
  • Save the settings by pressing F10 key.
Once these settings are changed you can reinstall the Operating System on the mSATA drive by choosing mSATA on the option where would you like to install the operating system.
Also, if you are using the mSATA to boot the system you wont be able to use Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

13 Posts

December 12th, 2012 16:00

Dear   Abhishek  !

First of all  many thanks for your rapid answer It must be   usefull  for me !

I am hesitating between  buying the recommended  32 GB mSATA SSD  or  a BIGGER  one

It sounds covincing not to do so(with a bigger one) !  There is no advanced guarantee for a perfect   function you said !

But you  encouraged me to do it if I wanna do so !

We did not talked about the next situation  yet :

My question would be :  if I'd  stay with my OS on the HDD  (present situation) and I  would buy  a bigger

mSATA DRIVE : f.e. 256GB  from crucial  and I activate IRST  for accelerating boot process... can I use

these drive as an independent drive so  as to download  files  on it??  when  yes .. how many minimal GByte  free places

must be  reserved  for memory operations for the CPU so as the  independent STORAGE-function  shell be beyond reproach too?  Can Dell  guarantee whether it works flawlessly ......????.......??????

How can I install  the above mentioned issue  in the  boot window ?

Thanks for your workmanlike answers

December 13th, 2012 00:00

Hi zimike,

Thank you for your reply.  

Dell has tested these systems only with 32 GB mSATA drives, so the functionality of the system if you use anything more than that, cannot be guaranteed. However, technically speaking the connectors and the dimensions of the mSATA drives are same. You should be able to connect and use any of them with the system.

If you have the OS installed on the HDD, you can use the mSATA drive for IRST. The minimum space required for IRST is 18.6 GB if you select the size allocated for cache memory as 18.6 GB the remaining storage space any remaining space on the SSD may be used for data storage using the simple data single-disk RAID 0 volume that is automatically created.

You can also check the Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide from the link below for more information and detailed steps for IRST settings.

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

Hope this helps. Please reply for any further issues.

13 Posts

December 13th, 2012 11:00

Dear   Abhishek  !

I  have  a problem  I 'd like to flash (update)  my DELL  bios   (device :5720)

But I  use UBUNTU 12.04     O.S.  not  windows 7 or 8

To flash  a system bios is a risky issue  !

I found on net a lot of similar successful  actions but  I  did'nt  do such a  bios update ever before !

In terminal (ubuntu) I got the following  system info :

imre@imrelaptop:~$ sudo getSystemId

Libsmbios version:      2.2.28

Product Name:           Inspiron 5720

Vendor:                 Dell Inc.

BIOS Version:           A03

System ID:              0x0564

Service Tag:             <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Express Service Code:   <ADMIN NOTE: Express service code removed per privacy policy>

Does it mean I have  with  A03  bios  t.i.to say the latest  bios version for dell 5720 ...???

I think it is because of  :  

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-17r-5720

Thanks and regards  :  zimike

If there is nothing to do ,I would learn after all how to update bios versions in my case ?

December 14th, 2012 06:00

Hi zimike,

Thank you for your reply. 

You may check the following link to update the BIOS on Ubuntu system.

http://dell.to/12pwmo0

Unfortunately, I do not have much expertise with Ubuntu operating systems to recommend you a resolution. Please try to post in the Linux forum on the link below, for more information regarding Ubuntu updates.

http://dell.to/TScynU

You can also check the following link for more information regarding Ubuntu on Dell systems.

http://bit.ly/ZpOf7b

Please reply for any further help.

No Events found!