Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2009 11:00

Additional memory installed but startup takes SEVERAL tries

I am running XP on an Inspiron 1505 that, of course, just ran out of warranty!! I recently upgraded my RAM from 1 gig to 2 gigs, using RAM purchased from Dell. Now whenever I shutdown the computer, or hibernate or simply standby, the computer will not restart until I push the start button SEVERAL times. At first, nothing happens at all. The, after a couple more pushes, WIndows starts but aborts suddenly. Sometimes it takes as many as 10 times for the computer to finally restart Windows. Once it finally gets going, it seems to be fine, but it takes 25-30 minutes to resolve this. Plus, there is always the fear that it won't ever start at all. Is there a setting within Windows XP that needs to be changed? Or is there something that must be done with my BIOS to solve this problem?

Thanks so much.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Remove the new RAM - does the problem disappear?

I can't remove the new ram very easily, because I have no "old" RAM to put back in.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If the problem started with the new RAM, you likely purchased RAM that's faulty or incompatible.  Start by running a full diagnostic on the RAM (F12 at powerup).  If either module fails, swap it to the other socket and see if the failure follows the module -- if it does, the module is faulty.  If it doesn't, the mainboard is failing.

No Events found!