Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 24th, 2017 14:00

Alienware 17 R2 No audio through speakers or headphones

My old MSI computer died and I moved the hard drive to my Alienware 17 R2.  Everything seems to run fine after I downloaded the drivers from the Dell website... EXCEPT for the sound.  I get no sound from the speakers or headphones when I plug them in.  I know the sound worked BEFORE I swapped the hard drive.

This is my DJ laptop hard drive, so I can't just reload windows, I need to keep everything.

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 25th, 2017 04:00

Hello. I can't think of anything right off except to reinstall the Intel Chipset driver and then reinstall the Creative Recon audio driver. Have you run the Quick Audio Check (audio hardware diagnostic)?

> Re-start the computer and tap the F12 key as soon as it starts to boot up.

> Select 'Diagnostics' from the boot menu, then press the Enter key. Either the ePSA or the PSA tests will open -- it depends on the model of your laptop.

> Look for a "Perform Quick Audio Check" button on the bottom right side of the ePSA main menu screen. Press the button and listen for the tones from the speakers.

> If you don't hear the tones that means that there is hardware failure.

Here is a screen shot of the ePSA Quick Audio test:

There is a Dell forum for Alienware owners that might be of help. Alienware Club.

Some additional info might or might not help.

The operating system

Whether or not there is an error such as "no audio device".

The results of running the Qquick Audio Check.

What kind of hard drive -- one of the solid state ones or a 2.5 inch?

No Events found!