Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2015 07:00

Alienware Duel Hard Drives

I recently bought an Alienware Laptop with duel hard drives One is 138 GB (drive C) and one is a terabyte (drive D). I was not aware of the two drives until last night when I got a low on space message and was told by Dell that the small drive is for the operating system and the large drive is for installing programs and storing files. I'm not too happy with this as it make things more complicated. For one, some programs don't give you an option as to where to install it, secondly my antivirus does not actively monitor this drive. I can scan this drive of course but my AVG monitors the C: drive not D: I don't see the point of the smaller hard drive.

What am I missing? Was the information I revived correct?  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 28th, 2015 09:00

The point is performance - the small drive is solid state and many times faster than the hard drive.

128G is a bit small for long-term Windows OS use, but large program suites and games can be installed to the hard drive, with minimal use of the 128G SSD.

You can of course run everything from the hard drive -- though the system performance will slow down markedly if you do.

September 28th, 2015 12:00

That seems completely backwards to me. The reason I bought the computer was to be able to run all my large programs that require a lot of power and resources from the computer. Right now the computer is new and mostly clean but my top 3 programs, Adobe suite, my Video editing software and one large game (Diablo) that demands a lot from the system take up over half of that HD.  That leaves little room for other software of the same ilk. From what I understand these are the programs that I want on the fast drive. It would make much more sense for the big drive to be the fast one.

Is there a larger capacity fast drive that I can swap out for this one and is there a way to transfer all of the data from one to another without having to reinstall everything? 

No Events found!