Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2013 17:00

Alienware M17x r2 video crash with Blue screen of death with memory dump. I need help please.

As in the title. I have an Alienware M17x r2 system that I bought 3 years ago. When the system was 2 years old and 3 days before warranty expired I installed SETI at Home screen saver client. This is when my problems started. Let me explaine. Power on, and my screen is showing red and blue pixels randomly on the screen. Boots into windows and then I'm getting lines showing up covering desktop and icons. About 5 mins, sometime longer (random) my screen crashes with blue screen of death with memory dump and then reboots. What I have done. Restored windows to factory. Uninstalled ATI video driver (running the system in VGA mode) Updated system BIOS Updated video drivers Nothing seems to work and I'm getting the same errors and crashes. note: when running the system in VGA mode drivers from windows 7, the system does not crash, but I'm also not able to run many programs as its only using 16 MB video ram. I'm thinking the video card is bad. I wish dell would just replace the video card or help getting this fixed. Help please. This is my 4th post with no response to my other 3 post (can't even find them) Thank you for your time.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 31st, 2013 17:00

You almost certainly need a replacement video card - when the fault shows on the internal screen, attach an external monitor.  If it shows the same fault, the video card needs to be replaced.

The only way you'll get a replacement from Dell is if you purchase a warranty extension (it will be expensive - probably $300 or more, but likely cheaper than the cost of the video card).

No Events found!