Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2010 06:00

Alienware m17xr2 video drivers

Hi,

I recently brought Starcraft 2 however I am having a video problems. Some units I am unable to see or select on the map. I can see them in the minimap. Also when I installed Starcraft2 it mentioned that my video drivers were incompatible. I have downloaded the latest dell drivers for my video cards (dual AMD Mobility Radeon HD5870) however it still remains incompatible. Can I use the AMD drivers seeing as dell have not update this video driver since March?

Thanks.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2010 16:00

I have the same problem here too with same hardware configuration.  I tried to download the drive direct from AMD website but M17X is not supported by their newest driver.  You can check their disclaimer.  I hope help is coming soon.  For meantime, though, you can save the game (when this happens), exit from the game and load that game again.  Most of the time, the unit will apeear again for short time.  Good luck...to both of us!

14 Posts

August 20th, 2010 22:00

I was actually able to download the drivers from AMD, as I have removed most of the Dell setting (formatted my harddrive....that's another story). I don't seem to have any problems and can run Mass Effect 2 fine. I thought it had been fixed by this update but then the error occurred in a later campaign mission where I couldn't see the Protoss turrets which kinda sucked. So I have also sent an email to Blizzard. Hopefully something will happen soon.

Anyone got any other thoughts???

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 07:00

The response I got from Blizzard was basically update your Directx and video card drivers. If that doesn't work then contact the manufacturer. So basically Blizzard did squat...

Not sure what my next step is.

9 Posts

August 31st, 2010 01:00

Hi

I got this problem with SC2 as well. Dells fix was a new laptop for me.

My workaround is disable xfire till drivers are updated. If they get updated...........

Your other option is to install the ATI driver but never have AC power turned off or you get a bluescreen. That is what I worked it out to be.

9 Posts

August 31st, 2010 22:00

Gday

I just seen you said Blizzard did nothing. It is not Blizzards problem as Starcraft 2 works fine. You will also find if you try other games you will get display problems popping up.

Well. you won't even notice the difference if you have xfire or not. The single 5870 is more then enough to handle starcraft 2.

I only have xfire because I could. Now I think maybe I should of just got a single card.

This graphic/xfire issue is the only problem I have ran into. Everything else on my 2 systems works perfect. Don't just disable xfire & let it go. Keep asking for a fix otherwise what was the point of buying 2 graphic cards if you never use the 2nd one?

You can contact Dell about the problem but I am finding the tech support to go around in circle for me now. You should contact tech support. The more the problem is reported the better the chance of it getting fixed. If they happen to run into a fix for you let me know. The tech support is great if you use them right.

14 Posts

August 31st, 2010 22:00

Hi,

Thanks for that. So did you have other problems with your laptop? Just wondering if I need to contact Dell about it.

I have already got the latest ATI drivers but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I had heard that I may need to disable xfire. How much will this influence my graphics performance in SC2?

Thanks

No Events found!